tim_summers15

Planning Permission and fence.

Tim Summers

Hi,

I'm in a predicament that hopefully someone on here could shed some light on before I go down the official council route. We're having a garage conversion - everything so far has been agreed with the council - permitted development, building regs etc. We needed do dig some deeper footings and the council again came around, and signed everything off.

Now they're saying that all works are guaranteed for 10 years - however, it will now not be able to get final sign-off without some trees (damn Leylandii) removed. That's great - we've had some other trees removed as the roots were ruining our drive which left 'our side' of the Leylandii dead which now look awful since they've been removed, pic below

So, they've all got to be removed so that the council will sign it off. As you can see our the trees are basically split down the middle between alive and dead.

I've been reading about boundaries, and I know that this is a massive grey area, but will I need planning permission to erect a 6ft fence?

Below are a few pictures from google maps of various angles of our house, as I think that I would argue that it's not actually at the front of our house, moreso the side, so I don't need to stick to the 1m height restrictions.

The fence would be here where the red line is - and the entrance to our drive way is pretty much tight on the left of this picture. So it's definitely not our back garden, but also it's not really our front garden going out onto the road - it's more of a security / noise boundary.

So from the road looking over the back garden of our house we're already completely walled in

and the fence would go here looking from the road / side

As other have done further along the road they've replaced walls and fences and planted some bushes in front of them so that it still looks nice - however these are all on BACK gardens. The fence will not be that tall as detailed with my red line, only 6ft, whereas the conifers are about 12ft now

There is loads of room from the road, up a bank, across the path, then another verge to get to it, so it's not blocking any visibility.

I've got the builders talking to people within the council, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this or can offer some advice?

I may be temped to pull the fence back a bit within our boundary, rather than putting it right on the boarder, then plant bushes along the border, and call the fence temporary for security until the bushes grow then it'll be removed, but I'll forget to remove it - not idea as I want to pinch as much space as possible as it's tight around the side.

Thanks for listening.