hannah_welsh2145193

garden and patio help with 2 dogs

Hannah

So first time home owner here with minimal gardening experience and two dogs (one is a lively puppy who eats everything he can find!)

We want to replace the grass so it’s easier to keep clean with the dogs and so we can put our sun loungers on it (currently it’s full of holes from the puppy!) I thought it would be simple and relatively cheap given the size but seem to be going round in circles working out what the best option is. Can anyone advise if concrete or sandstone is easier to keep clean particularly with dogs? Or composite decking? We’ve been quoted £3-4K for sandstone which seems a lot of money for such a small space.

I’m in process of planting in pots around the border, have a couple of compact roses and trellis planters to cover the fence a bit on the RH side and a sweetpea and trellis to go up the back wall. But am thinking perhaps I should be planting directly into the borders particularly with the grass going, I love the pictures of lush green overgrown borders on Houzz and it will provide more interest for us and the dogs but I’m worried about disturbing the gravel and it looking rubbish / everything dying. The garden gets a lot of sun throughout the day so I guess pots will be higher maintenance watering-wise, - weeds/grass growing quickly at the moment.

All suggestions welcome!