webuser_248595905

Kitchen layout driving me crazy - please help me, I need ideas!

Kim
2 years ago

We have lived in this bungalow for nearly 4 years and having thought the kitchen was great when we moved in but the realities of living in it with one and now two small children is that I hate it! It's a pretty decent space but the layout is terrible. My biggest annoyance is the breakfast bar peninsula that houses the oven. It's a huge area of workspace (0.9 x 1.5 m) but I never use it and it justs ends up covered in clutter....as evident in the photos. Instead I work in the insufficient 70cm gap between the sink and hob, I think mostly because I'm right handed and so work to my right. Peninsula just isn't intuitive to me. It's only me who occasionally sits at breakfast bar otherwise it's unused. We have already done some mods to make usable, specifically to fit in the fridge freezer (separate freezer wasn't option as nowhere to put it and undercounter fridge too small) we removed units and chunk of worktop and also took out an oven (unused) so we could put replacement storage in (baskets). What we really want is a kitchen diner, big enough for the 4 of us to have a meal. We have had architects drawings for extension - too expensive and not enough of a result - and also a rejig of entire floorplan but no builder seems so keen to do that. I also cannot shake feeling we are going to spend tens of thousands and I will still be a bit underwhelmed. I don't actually want a huge space, just a functional one! I also keep looking at current kitchen and thinking it really ought to be big enough to eat in but maybe not. This is driving me round the twist and I just want to put some ideas to bed/on scrap heap so we can make progress. Rant over ;)
If you've got this far then I really would be so grateful for any thoughts. The kitchen is just off North facing with side windows to E and S. Measures 5.1 x 3.25m and 2.25m at narrowest bit where peninsula is. There is a shower room off it that I've included in pics. Could be open to losing this if it helps kitchen.
TIA
Kim

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.