_nancy_

Please help! Long, dark Edwardian terrace in need of new layout

Nancy
last modified: 3 months ago

Hello!

I'm hoping for some Houzz community help with a potential new layout for a narrow, long Edwardian terrace house, with a North-facing garden.

The house is packed with beautiful fireplaces and bespoke, built-in cabinets, so ideally we'd like to keep as much as possible unchanged. We especially don't want to change anything about the hall, stairs, office or sitting room.

BUT, as you can probably tell from the hastily drawn-up floorplan below, the kitchen/dining room is very dark. There is only one tiny external window above the door to the utility room. The utility room and conservatory are both extensions with polycarbonate roofing and both are flooded with light. I added an internal window between the kitchen and utility room a couple of years ago and though that, along with mirrors in the dining room, did bring a bit of light in, it's still a dark cave in there.

My initial thoughts are to transform the conservatory into a proper room, extending it across the whole width and back into the garden a metre or so, and put a kitchen/dining room in there with doors out to the patio in the middle. The downstairs W.C. would then be pushed back towards the centre of the house.

I'm really not sure what to do with the windowless spaces that would be left in the middle, as I really would like to keep the sitting room hall and office untouched. There's also a very large supporting column where the kitchen, utility and dining area currently meet.

There's my essay of information! Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you!