webuser_765054169

New Stud Wall in Bathroom + New Window

Devlin
2 years ago

Hi all

Probably going to post a few times here as we're currently thinking of how we want our new house to be renovated. We've hit the bathroom...

The new bathroom is a decent size, about 4m in length and 3.75 in width. So a lot of space to fill. What we don't really want is just empty space, for us it's not practical. In addition we like the idea of having the bath/shower in a separate room to the basin. Makes life easier for those who want to use the basin whilst someone is in the shower etc.

So we've drawn up the attached as a possible idea. However, we appreciate dreams and reality are never close so wanted thoughts on the feasibility of this, from a regulatory perspective and practicality too.

To summarise we wish to do the following:

- Create two rooms, separated by a stud wall and new door.

- The near side room is where we keep the basin and washing machine

- We install a new window + extraction in the near side room

- The far side room is where the bath/shower is

- The far side room will be a wet room

I understand that many will be offended by the thought of having a washing machine upstairs. There is the risk that if it leaks, then you could have a big problem in the room below. This is understood. I also understand that regulations exist that say electrics should be a certain distance from the bathroom/water. But if we're creating a new room, does this mean we're free of that constraint?

Finally, the new window. This is a Victorian house, built circa 1900. Not listed or in a conservation area.

Sorry for such a long post. Appreciate any advice/help here.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.