clairebeth403

Making our 2 bed flat work for growing family.

Claire M
2 years ago

Hi all,
We have lived in our 2 bed flat in central Edinburgh for 7 years now. We fell in love with it and paid much less than what we had budgeted for, thinking we would buy bigger when we needed to. But that has never happened!
We have 2 children (girl aged 9, boy aged 4). They are getting to an age where they are bickering a bit and bed times can be a night mare. Whilst I'm certainly not of the opinion that children SHOULD have their own room, I think it would certainly make life easier!
Despite having been approved for a mortgage that would allow us to buy a place in the same location with double the space and been viewing properties on and off for 18 months... nothing has really taken our fancy! We love this flat. Besides, there's a lot to be said for having a cheap mortgage!
What we are thinking about is adapting the space to allow us to live here longer.
Essentially: convert the hall cupboard into a toilet (the neighbours have done the same on the other side of the wall).
Then, parents move into the living room as our bedroom and the kids take a bedroom each.
That leaves the kitchen to become a compact kitchen/diner/living room.
I have attached pics (the sales particulars from when we bought it) with floor plan.
I appreciate it won't allow for a LOT of space, but we will all have more of our own individual space.
So I'm thinking U Shaped kitchen by the window (sink under the window), some worktop, fridge and pantry down the left wall. Small round table with 4 chairs by the old range. Rip out corner cupboards in bottom right corner which currently house pantry and washing machine and have small l shaped sofa here.
Or possible a banquette seating thing with table in that corner?
It has been suggested that we move the kitchen to the living room - this is not an option for us because of the existing plumbing, the old range in the kitchen (the flat was built in 1834) and we really want to keep it as original as possible.
All thoughts appreciated on how feasible you think this is and suggestions for layout!
Many thanks!

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.