joey_radic

Victorian House Extension - making better use of the dining room

Joey Radic
2 years ago

We're in the early stages of our rear extension and we're trying to figure out the best use of the dining room as it's currently just being used as a through room. I've scoured various planning permissions to see what others have done with the dining room and they all seem to leave it as is on proposed extensions.

What we do want

- put a small snug (labelled as Family on the extension) for a sofa and mount a TV

- add booth-like seating and table along one of the walls in the kitchen (like in the photo)

- have a kitchen island (standard 1m by 2m)

We would love to absorb the current dining room into the kitchen but we're struggling to visualise how. We thought we could put the kitchen + island in the current dining room but we may be limited on space (it's a 3.3m space in the dining room from the stairs to the back wall).

The other idea we had was moving the current bathroom over to the dining room (where the chimney breast is) and it opens up the kitchen space more (concerns there on the cost of moving the toilet + sink. The good news is the current waste + soil stack is on that same side of the house where the gate is)

Any feedback or links to examples of what others have done would be great! Been racking my brain and just seem to visualise it.

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.