webuser_874027994

Advice re developing my patio as an adjunct to my open plan kitchen

HU-874027994
2 years ago

The back of my house opens on to a patio and then a lawn facing southwest, in line with the house, but also the garden goes along the side of the house. The sun pours in almost all day across the lawn and into the back of the house through 15ft/4.5m bifolding doors into a small sitting room. The patio just gets too hot in the sunshine to be able to enjoy it unsheltered - but I love to sit in 'warm' shade reading. What can I do to create the shade on the patio without making the house dark? The patio runs across teh full width of the house, and is about 8ft deep to the lawn, which in turn is about 10 foot deep to the garden wall. The lawn is also wider than the house and runs about 10 ft past the edge of the house to the very high hedge at 90 degrees to the garden wall. There is a 30ft conifer at the end of this side bit, located at the end by the garden wall which keeps a shadow on this bit of hte lawn and it is perfect on a sunny day to go and read there. Should I have two sitting places ? Should I cut down the conifer, increase the sunshine on that part of the lawn and just focus on making the patio with some sort of shelter (gazebo/pergola/etc?) the main sitting area?

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.