hedgehog99

To upstand or not to upstand...

hedgehog99
2 years ago

When tiling a whole kitchen splashback, would you include an upstand or not? I'll be fitting pure white Dekton worktops on a 3m long run (including sink), with wall units above. The tile I've chosen is this one (Mandarin Stone Groove), which has, well, a groove in it! They'll be laid vertically like the picture and will fill the whole space between worktop and wall units. The tiles are 800mm tall x 310mm wide so there won't be any horizontal grout lines, just vertical ones. My tiler thought we didn't need an upstand and certainly it would save a few quid not to have one. I was concerned about water pooling in the grooves but he said the sealant would create a straight seal anyway. I just wonder whether it would look better with an upstand and my builder thought it would be better for the tiles to sit on top of one. (By the way for anyone who remembers my other tile post a few days ago, that one was for the utility room, whereas this is the kitchen, so a different dilemma!)

What would you do - upstand or no upstand?

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.