vanessa_jason

I hate countertop shopping. Tips appreciated for navy/white cabinets.

Vanessa

So, I've decided I hate countertop shopping. I've narrowed it down to 3 reasons: 1) The industry names vary so widely 2) The slabs vary so widely 3) The price varies so widely (and is not always transparent).

Backstory: I received a quote for "white fantasy quartzite". According the internet, including a couple supplier websites, it is also known as super white. I just figured my fabricator called it something different. So I've been looking at super white slabs. They were pretty enough, and I was given a phenomenal price- so I continued to look. Turns out, their "white fantasy quartzite" is actually fantasy white marble (a cousin of fantasy brown I think). I was looking at and researching the wrong slab the whole time. Oops.

Here's my dilemmas...I need 90 square feet of countertop. It's a lot. It's an investment, for sure.

I dislike quartz. (That was hard to type). It's functional, but in my opinion, it's pretty lukewarm- it's "safe" but not what I would call beautiful. And it costs generally costs more. My thought is, why pay more for meh? My eyes glaze over when I'm looking at the rows of quartz... they all start to look the same. It is NOT my first choice, but I wouldn't be against it if the stars ever align.

Then there's marble. I really like the look of marble! But I have 3 kids. The reason I got such a great price on the "white fantasy quartzite" (aka fantasy white marble) is that it's pretty soft. So, the more affordable the marble, the softer it is. I can't bring myself to invest in it.

Then there's quartzite! I also really like the look of quartzite, but of course the slabs and prices vary so much, and quartzite is probably the most confusing because it's part marble but some is more than others- I think?

(Granite would most likely make me dizzy. But if anyone knows of more forgiving granite patterns, I'm all ears...)

The kitchen project starts later next month. Cabinets are ordered- navy island with white upper and lowers. The floors will be a medium dark. Paint color and backsplash is still TBD, so I still have some freedom.

Does ANYONE have a similar kitchen color scheme and can share their countertops that they love- Quartz, quartzite, relatively hard marble? Mistakes to avoid? Sorcery to bippity-boppity boo my way through this? I'm happy to just commiserate, for anyone with the same feels ;)