webuser_122930197

one young leaf grows bigger than ALL old leaves

Ms houhouland
2 years ago

Does anyone know why one plant has leaves on different sizes? Here is one of them. My Magnolia Alba recently grow a super long leaf. It’s much bigger than any other leaves around it. It’s green and shinny and unusual shape. The others are wider and weavy on the edge. This one is thinner, longer and not weavy at all. Here is a photo of them. The 8 days old is the biggest leaf. The one at center is more than a month old. The rest are older than a month as well.

Here is the background of this plant. I grow it under grow light and I am still trying to figure out its nutrition need. I sometimes over feed and sometimes under feed them. At the beginning of growing this plant I didn’t give them much fertilizer. Then I realized the problem then I start feeding them every other watering. Then it shown sign of yellow leaf, leaf drop. And the terminal bud(near the 1+ month old leaf) stay very small and take longer than usual to give new leaf. Then I feed this plant less often. About once every 4 watering. BUT in between feeding I did spray calcium sulphate water a few time on the top leaf because some new leaves are wrinkle and curl down. Then later on I found the soil ph is too high ( about 8). Then I dilute 4 grams of iron sulphate and give it to the soil. Then a few days later this biggest leaf grow like you see on photo. I found leaves grow in different sizes on one of my jasmine plant as well. I found this interesting so I share it here.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.