webuser_768402840

Full re-wiring, new combi boiler and central heating

HU-768402840
2 years ago

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well. As mentioned, I have bought a three bed house, just got the keys today

It is in need of a full refurbishment, but this post is specifically on central heating, combi boiler and electrical rewiring.

I have cut and pasted excerpts from the EICR report, the discussion with the electrician and excerpts from the building and structural survey.

Could you please advise me on this topic,

Kind Regards

Mel

EICR Discussion with the electrician

1) Here is a few defects mentioned on the report that has failed the EICR.

The fusebox is new but has been poorly installed.

There's no earth for the lights and much more defects.

The sockets are very limited to. Recommended the property to get fully rewired.

---------------

2) Based on previous rewires we have completed in your area the rewire will cost in the region of £3985-£4500 (depending on your specification).

A new boiler will set you back around £2225.

A rewire will take around 3 weeks to complete and we ideally need to start once you have cleared out I.e removed the kitchen, furniture etc

3) The £2225 will just be for the boiler installation. I would need to send our boiler engineer to give you an accurate price.

From previous Central heating installations we charged in the region of £6-7k

As per the building survey

Heating at the property is provided by an ageing floor-standing heating system. This was in working order at the time of survey with hot water available at the taps however, the heating system is very old and we recommend upgrading it for a combination boiler system should be a consideration which would be much more energy-efficient.

Costs Quote –4000

There appears to be an electric water pump installed in the cupboard housing the hot water tank, these items can be noisy when running and can fail within warning, however, it does not appear to be connected currently. You may to have this item checked by a plumber.

HEATING

Heating at the property is provided by an ageing Heatinaire floor-standing heating system. This was in working order at the time of survey with hot water available at the taps however, the heating system is very old and we recommend upgrading it for a combination boiler system should be a consideration, this would be much more energy-efficient.

There is also a hot water storage tank in this location.

No detailed heat loss calculations have been prepared. The system appeared to be functioning adequately at the time of survey with adequate supplies of hot water at the taps.

Systems of this type require regular maintenance and we would recommend that you enter into a service agreement with a local firm of heating engineers and ideally the installation should be serviced prior to you taking ownership.

In view of the complexities of gas regulations and safety implications we recommend the gas installation and heating system is inspected by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

GAS INSTALLATION

The gas meter is located in the garage to the right-hand side in a high-level position. The gas meter is fairly dated but appears serviceable with no major defects. Upgrading this for a newer model should be a consideration

According to the Structural Engineer

The Surveyor considers that the cracking is downward settlement of internal partition walls which he considers common where partitions are supported on floors or where the floor takes other point loads.

We must disagree with the Surveyor as the main cracking which is to the left-hand wall within the rear wardrobe and within the rear wall along with the junction of the chimney and the dividing wall within the front wardrobe is thermal movement due to heat within the chimney breast from the fire situated in the ground floor room.

In this age of property the chimney may not be lined consequently the heat is simply affecting the brickwork lining of the chimney which is causing expansion and contraction resulting in the cracking noted.

This expansion and contraction will also have caused the movement at the junction of the dividing wall with the right-hand wall due to the movement noted in the adjoining walls.

We scrapped some of the plaster back and noted the internal block walls were old clinker blocks which are also more susceptible to cracking and thermal movement

The repairs which have been suggested by the Surveyor are acceptable however cracking is likely to return if the fire is to continue to be used within the lounge area unless the flue is lined.

We would advise that the chimney is checked and if it is not lined as we suspect then a liner should be installed in accordance with current regulations.

The gas fire which we noted within the room is an old Radiant gas fire and we would also advise a Gas Safe Registered Engineer checks this over prior to any use as currently we would condemn it.

Comments (30)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.