belbel75

Is this a genuine circa 1899 fireplace?

Hi All!! ok so we have bought a fixer upper i Wales dating back to 1899. it used to be a hotel and is now 12 apartments. We have a fireplace in the main living space and Im I’m trying

to work out if its original! help!! the hideous burner is definitely going.

Comments (11)

• Margaret Dougan-watt
    2 years ago

I think it's 1930's or between the wars.

I was brought up in a house with a nasty brown version, yours is lovely. A little more upmarket than ours.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

The red tiling smacks of 1930s as Margaret has suggested. So I would suggest Art Deco. Here’s a couple Of pics I’ve found of similar fireplaces to yours.

• Belinda Langridge
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahhh brilliant! Thanks for your comments. I think we will replace it with something more sympathetic :-)

• PRO
    Ideas for Interiors
    2 years ago

I like the burner! Just not in your fireplace😁

• Margaret Dougan-watt
    2 years ago

I agree, the two elements don't complement each other at all.

With the burner out and a lovely black grate in place you may fall in love with the fireplace , I think I would...

• Elizabeth Forrest
    2 years ago

But , inspit.e of what I've just said, I would definitely remove the wood burner

• Brian Kirby
    2 years ago

Clearly the two styles don't match or fit together in terms of dimensions. I think the result is ugly. But the burner cleaned up, could look great in the right setting - so sure, remove it, but please don't smash it up.

• midwalesparky
    2 years ago

It's all part of the rich fabric and history of a house. I love the stove and the fireplace, but if you don't, I agree with others: go half way and remove the stove, but live with the lovely fireplace for a while, then decide. And no, it's not from 1899 and neither is the mantelpiece.

• joanna pearson
    2 years ago

No. its not as old as that.

• Cath Farrar
    2 years ago

I get the whole thing about respecting the ongoing history of the building and not just changing things for the sake of change, but in all honesty if it was me I could not live with those red tiles for a second longer than I had to!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.