belbel75

Is this a genuine circa 1899 fireplace?

Hi All!! ok so we have bought a fixer upper i Wales dating back to 1899. it used to be a hotel and is now 12 apartments. We have a fireplace in the main living space and Im I’m trying

to work out if its original! help!! the hideous burner is definitely going.

• Margaret Dougan-watt

I think it's 1930's or between the wars.

I was brought up in a house with a nasty brown version, yours is lovely. A little more upmarket than ours.

• Sonia

The red tiling smacks of 1930s as Margaret has suggested. So I would suggest Art Deco. Here’s a couple Of pics I’ve found of similar fireplaces to yours.

• Belinda Langridge

Ahhh brilliant! Thanks for your comments. I think we will replace it with something more sympathetic :-)

Ideas for Interiors

I like the burner! Just not in your fireplace😁

• Elizabeth Forrest
    yesterday

Most old house have been altered throughout their lives, sometimes for the better and sometimes to their detrimen: it's all part of their history and charm.

I personally love this fireplace, but obviously, it's down to personal taste. However, I wouldn't rush to remove it, even though I know from personal experience, that the urge to get out the sledgehammer is sometimes very strong in certain people!

Could you try living with it for a while------- I know that in terms of more disruption and mess you want to get it over and done with in one go, but better that than do something you would later regret

,

• Elizabeth Forrest
    yesterday

But , inspit.e of what I've just said, I would definitely remove the wood burner

• Brian Kirby
    yesterday

Clearly the two styles don't match or fit together in terms of dimensions. I think the result is ugly. But the burner cleaned up, could look great in the right setting - so sure, remove it, but please don't smash it up.