webuser_908422297

1930s home layout. Would you redesign or extend?

Em L
2 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone help me to understand if we could redesign the current layout of our 1930s home to meet out needs rather than extending? There are just the 2 of us and the amount of space we have is adequate. Mainly this is because there is quite a nice big, bright conservatory on the back.We have been using this as a main living space but I expect this will be less appealing when the winter comes. We have only been here a few months so far. The conservatory was built in 2014 and does have radiators so perhaps it will be ok to sit and eat out there.

The flow of the house/layout isn't working at the moment it feels like we are going in and out of doors and in a loop to get to rooms.

We considered going up into the roof space (we would have great views and could get an extra bed and bath) but have been told the head height/pitch/chimney stacks being large would likely mean getting a roof raise, which sounds expensive. Also this doesn't solve the layout issues downstairs and I'm not sure we need an extra bed/bath - more cleaning :). I think also I worry a bit that we might spend alot changing the layout but not add any value to the home.

Wish list:

A bath upstairs , currently there is a shower room and separate WC

A log burner/cozy lounge

Kitchen/diner combined

Anyone have any thoughts please?

Also, I'm trying to understand which professional might help with our design options. Do you think an architect would charge per hour, visit and sit with us and go through some ideas? eg change existing layout v extend possibilities.

Thank you for any advice

Emma

Plans below and description.

When looking at the plans there are two large chimneys, 1 in the dining room on the wall beside the stairs and 1 between the kitchen/lounge.

Dining Room14'6" x 11'2" (4.42m x 3.4m).

Living Room12'8" x 12'5" (3.86m x 3.78m).

Kitchen11'2" x 9'2" (3.4m x 2.8m).

Conservatory18'8" x 11'9" (5.7m x 3.58m).

First Floor

Landing Split level landing.

Bedroom One13'4" x 12'6" (4.06m x 3.8m).

Bedroom Two11'9" x 10'10" (3.58m x 3.3m).

Bedroom Three9'4" x 7 (2.84m x 7). .

Shower Room 280 x 130 cm

Separate WC 120 x 70 cm

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.