aussie13

marestail or horsetail problem

aussie13
2 years ago

Has anyone successfully got rid of marestail? Could it come in via quarry gravel or can birds bring it in? Having difficulty identifying young shoots and read not to pull them up or risk multiplying the problem tenfold. Feeling overwhelmed

Comments (2)

• Fiona Millar
    2 years ago

Hi, if it looks like a mini Christmas tree, it is indeed the dreaded weed. I can supply lots of photos if you are in doubt! No one has been able to offer a solution as no weed killer works. A recent suggestion has been to cut it and apply mcpa mixed with washing up liquid. He did say that this would not be an immediate solution and would have to be repeated.
    Otherwise, I share your pain. I think you should pull out what you can see - it will spread whatever you do. It keeps me busy all summer. Do not, however, put into compost.

• aussie13
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you indeed. I think I will pull up every bit I see and come the spring cut and carefully collect the mother plant with spores and burn them. I read that continually doing this may weaken the plant but may never totally eradicate it. Making a new garden and fighting brambles,rocks my bracken etc seems like a walk-in the park compared to these horrible things 😂

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.