aussie13

marestail or horsetail problem

aussie13

Has anyone successfully got rid of marestail? Could it come in via quarry gravel or can birds bring it in? Having difficulty identifying young shoots and read not to pull them up or risk multiplying the problem tenfold. Feeling overwhelmed

• Fiona Millar

Hi, if it looks like a mini Christmas tree, it is indeed the dreaded weed. I can supply lots of photos if you are in doubt! No one has been able to offer a solution as no weed killer works. A recent suggestion has been to cut it and apply mcpa mixed with washing up liquid. He did say that this would not be an immediate solution and would have to be repeated.
    Otherwise, I share your pain. I think you should pull out what you can see - it will spread whatever you do. It keeps me busy all summer. Do not, however, put into compost.

• aussie13

Thank you indeed. I think I will pull up every bit I see and come the spring cut and carefully collect the mother plant with spores and burn them. I read that continually doing this may weaken the plant but may never totally eradicate it. Making a new garden and fighting brambles,rocks my bracken etc seems like a walk-in the park compared to these horrible things 😂