Not sure where to start - Floorboard help needed!

Katy D

Hi! We are looking to achieve the 'old painted floorboard' aesthetic but from scratch but don't know where to start..

We just brought our first home (late-Victorian early-Edwardian) and are new to any kind of renovating / decorating. The previous owners had recently completed a loft extension - adding an office, a bedroom and a bathroom.

The office, bedroom, stairs and landing in the new bit all have builder grade carpet with particle board/ chip board subfloor underneath. We're considering options for what to do with the flooring and keep coming back to wanting the painted floorboard look. We have original floorboards elsewhere in the house and plan to keep these natural but want to match the 'feel' of those boards in the new areas then paint over them to keep the upstairs feeling a bit lighter and newer.

Basically we don't know where to start / how to go about this. Finding a salvage supplier who installs? Or a flooring expert to guide us through? Or if we plan to paint the boards would it be better to buy some new boards?

Below are pictures of some of the other boards in the house as well as black painted boards and white painted boards vaguely in the style that we would be going for.

Any help / advice much appreciated!

The look we like in black...

and in white...

Our floors elsewhere for reference (not planning to paint these, just an example for reference on the age/look)