brad_eagle

Ground floor, flooring (bamboo) and underfloor heating advice please

Brad Eagle

Hi all, we're at the planning stage of our ground floor renovation. We like the idea of UFH as it would free-up valuable wall space and it seems to me to be more efficient than rads. But I'm reading conflicting advice...for example, if it was to run throughout the kitchen/diner into the family room and out to the hallway, would an electric or wet system be best? The floor is floorboards apart from a bit of the kitchen which has a concrete base. I've also read that if we have an electric system then it would be best to keep some rads as 'backup' to boost it. This to me seems to defeat the object. Also, it's a 1920s house and the insulation isn't great (no cavity walls here!).

Has anyone installed a UFH system in a similar layout and if so what do you think? Does anyone regret having it and losing radiators?

Secondly, we're considering bamboo flooring as we want the same flooring throughout (apart from the front lounge) and don't want tiles through the family room and into hall. I also don't like the look of LVT. But I'm concerned about cooking mess around the oven area - food, oil spills and splashes etc. Has anyone installed similar who now regrets it? Or is it pretty easy to keep clean?

Thanks in advance for any advice!