sarah_unwinsuter

Bifold replacement dilemma

Sarah U-S
2 months ago

Please excuse the mess! We are in a Victorian house with a wrap around side return kitchen extension that gives us a small sitting room on the end. This was done about 11 or 12 years when bifold doors were just becoming popular. We have two sets of Douglas fir doors either side of the sitting room. The inner doors are actually an external set of bifolds that were fitted and then tiled up to - they have a threshold/frame.

My dilemma - we’ve recently found out that the outer bifold are rotten and beyond repair. They have to be replaced and we can’t get the same ones. Also we never use the bifold function! I like Crittall style doors and have found some lovely ones (thanks to a thread on here!). My husband says to only change the outer doors because the inner ones are fine. I think this will look odd. What do you think?! Also - as the current indoor doors are actually an external set, they have a threshold / frame. How easy would this be to take out? Are we likely to damage the tiles?
Second question - if we go for the Crittall style, what colour would you go for? We can have any RAL colour…. Thanks 🙏🏻

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.