Building Regs Interpretation

Scott Douglas
last month

As you will see from my schematics I want to remove some walls in my house to open up the space and create an open plan kitchen/diner living room. I would like to remove the dividing wall (inserting supporting beam as required) between kitchen and living room including the doorways into each room. This leaves the hallway completely exposed to the now open plan area. Under the stairs in the hallway is a WC. Fully vented with hand basin. I’ve been told by the guy doing my drawings that I need two doors between WC and habitable spaces. Some preliminary investigations online by me seems to suggest the two door rule is no longer in force, however, I am in Scotland where the technical handbook says

“There should be a door separating a space containing a WC, or waterless closet, from a room or space used for the preparation or consumption of food, such as a kitchen or dining room.”

My interpretation of that paragraph is, in my case, the space is the area under the stairs where the WC is situated and the door is the one directly used to access the WC.

Is my interpretation correct or does it mean I need another door separating the wc from the open plan space?

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.