camille_melanie

Matwell or not?

C D
2 years ago

Hello
Currently planning the floor for our ground floor.
It will be porcelain tiles in the entrance hall.
I have been asked if we want a matwell and I am not sure. (Example below)
Is it a good. Idea? Is it really needed? And if you have one, how often do you change it? Any advice and options would be appreciated. Many thanks

yes to matwell
no to matwell

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Rodrigues Interiors
    2 years ago

Definitely great idea and you do not have to change hardly at all. Just make sure it is wide enough and deep enough. Nothing worse than having to stop really short as you come through the door!

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

My son has one all the way across. Works well for his family.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I like it so I say yes to the mat well. It looks very neat and tidy.

• C D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Many thanks. I never had a matwell before so my main concern is how do you clean it? If people enter the house with dirty shoes, the mat will eventually get dirty and mucky.
    Without a matwell, as we will have tiles, it can be moped. So I am struggling to understand how it works…
    My partner is really pro mat well by the way.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

My sons is a very heavy corded carpet as opposed to coir. It can be shampood with a carpet cleaner

• hedgehog99
    2 years ago

The mat sits loosely but snugly inside the mat well. So every now and then you can lift the mat out to sweep/vacuum underneath. Grit and dust accumulate under the mat. You vacuum the mat itself obviously. And then every now and then, ie every few years, you replace the mat once it’s too grubby to clean effectively. Make sure it’s made to a standard size so you can buy replacement mats easily. It just means there’s somewhere for people to wipe their feet - otherwise they will keep walking outdoor dirt further into the house.

• C D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Many thanks all for your voting and advices. Really appreciated. It made me think of points I had not thought of. Still not sure I want one thought 😁 but at least, I know more about it. Thanks!! 🙂

• nmlondon
    2 years ago

I don’t like them, our builder suggested but I said not. They end up looking dirty very quickly (we had them in the past) We have a small porch with the normal coir mat (tiles underneath). The hall entrance will be tiled and the rest of the hallway will have the engineered oak flooring.

C D thanked nmlondon
  • Janice Barr
    2 years ago

We had a coir mateell in the last house and this one already had a more Norma carpet type one. I think when we replace it we’ll go for a more carpet type or maybe a turtle mat. With a dog and lots of dirty waking shoes they are the best. But totally agree about making sure it’s the right size.

• Janice Barr
    2 years ago

Sorry forgot to say - both have only ever needed hoovering. The one in the last house was replaced once after about 5 years - it was just placed in the hole not stuck down.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.