webuser_381008412

Help! How would you brighten this East-facing living room?!

Sophie O
2 years ago

Hi - help required!

We have recently purchased a flat, and the main living area is proving really difficult to get 'right'. It's a long, rectangular living/dining room with an East (semi North East) facing window.

The current cool-toned grey paint (which looks more like lilac, particularly at night!) means that even on a sunny day the room feels dreary, and feels VERY cool and clinical at night.

My challenge is:

• Don't like cream or grey - so where does that leave me? Have floated the idea of coloured walls but has been vetoed in favour of neutral.
  • To add to the mix, the lighting is very poor and there are only 3 spotlights in the entire space. TBC if this can be changed (advice welcome on that too?!).
  • The green sofa is a recent purchase so is staying - but is difficult to colour match. Most other things can change!

Suggestions welcome - as an Aussie in London I'm going insane in the dark, cold-feeling room! have been recommended Portland Stone Pale but it was too dark.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (26)

• hedgehog99
    2 years ago

I think the end of your post cut off Sophie - were you going to say Portland Stone by Little Greene? I have a similar dilemma as our new extension is north east facing though has more light than your room as there are more windows and a couple of skylights. I was going down the Portland stone route at first but once I’d tried a tester pot, I realised the green undertone was too strong for what I wanted, so I’m now planning Rolling Fog (not the main colour but one of the lighter ones - RF pale, light or mid). It has a red undertone which, in its pale shades, creates a sort of warm glow which counterbalances the northern light. You say you don’t like cream or grey but neutrals have undertones of every colour of the rainbow (I have learned this from @colourhappy who’s is the #1 colour expert on this forum!). But I think I’m also right in saying that northern light emphasises a green undertone so might be best avoided. Red or yellow undertones will warm up a cold feeling space. Take a look at little greene’s Stone colour chart which is arranged by undertone. There are several families of neutral on there with red and yellow undertones though the names escape me at this time on a Sunday morning!

Sophie O thanked hedgehog99
  • hedgehog99
    2 years ago

Also forgot to say re the lighting, I think the answer is to layer up with lots of lamps: floor and table lamps with warm white (2700) bulbs.

Sophie O thanked hedgehog99
  • Related Discussions

Help! West facing living room ... Can't decide colours

Q

Comments (6)
    I think a duck egg would work well for the evening but may look a bit chilly in the morning? Why not look at adding warm colours for accessories such as orange, coral, pink etc? You could also try a feature wallpaper. Duck egg is pretty much neutral so you should be able to find a paper mixing duck egg and warm colours. In terms of paint you could look at borrowed light or Teresa's green by F&B or Antiguan sky by Benjamin Moore ( apparently now available in the UK). I would just get a variety of testers, give some a3 paper a couple of coats and hang them round the room in various places and look at how the colour changes throughout the day
    ...See More

Help with colours for north facing living room

Q

Comments (14)
    Midcenturylass, I would definitely go for a warmer white if you are open to this! I would personally look for something between the two whites, as the Linen Wash is almost bordering a Beige. Post some photos up once you've painted, i'd love to see the outcome! :) As for your husband show him these two images that i've found online (attached). I'm sure he can understand that a Full red room, will make the room look small and with the lack of light coming into the room from being North facing this will create a very dark space. I hope this help you to suade him against full red!
    ...See More

North East Facing Living Room

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi jo1989 I couldn’t advise on colours or wallpapers but I can advise on lighting! I would recommend adding in some 5amp sockets for table lamps to give you some cosy eye level lighting. Your ceiling certainly seems high enough for pendant lighting, but you could maybe try using a more soft, contemporary shaded light to really soften up the room - Bover have a nice range which might be suitable. Happy decorating, Rich.
    ...See More

How would you decorate this living room?

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi everyone! He's been living there over 20 years now and completely revamped the room when he first moved in (adding in the fireplace, dado rail, adding the fan design to the ceiling!). It all looked very fresh when it was first done but 20 years is a long time. The ceiling is just standard, the holes you can see are from where he's having spotlights put in. I've searched Egyptian Cotton and agree that this is a lovely warm neutral, thank you for the recommendation I will definitely let him know to check it out. I love the idea of viewing the outside window as a feature wall and incorporating these natural elements into the room, my dads house backs on to woodlands and is surrounded by trees so it's all very green out there.
    ...See More
  • Avril
    2 years ago

Looks like a lovely space and a great sofa.
    I am assuming it is brighter in morning but less so afternoon and evening.

Your sofa works well adding colour to the room.
    I think key here as your post alluded to, is the need to add more lighting / lamps in different areas and at different heights.
    Believe it’s recommended you bring light to every corner.
    I have an east facing room and certainly come early evening I can now make my room feel very cosy with different lights on.
    Also maybe try some art / wall hanging or texture above sofa as this may help it feel warmer.

• ali270
    2 years ago

Our living room has the same orientation as yours . We eventually settled on Dulux taupe no 4 which is a soft neutral and looks good in all lights. We have no ceiling light but several table lamps . We have also positioned a mirror to reflect light from the window. I think your room is a good space and I like the way you have set it out . I think with a change of wall colour and some layered lighting it will look great . Good luck .

Sophie O thanked ali270
  • 1shanson
    2 years ago

Love your room, sofa, plants and furniture. I agree with Hedgehog99 and select a neutral with a warm undertone. Alternatively you could choose a pale pink but that may prove controversial in your household. Take the advice given of light layering. You could also swap out one of your spots for a more decorative light fitting. Your rug is nice but I think the room would benefit from something with more colour. Artwork and window dressing would also warm up and give character to your room. Varying suggested examples below. Good luck.

Sophie O thanked 1shanson
  • Sonia
    2 years ago

I agree with 1shanson that a soft dirty pink would add warmth and go really nicely with your sofa. Something like F&B Setting Plaster, Calamine or Dulux Blush Pink. You do need more lamps - I have four in my north east facing living room, one in each corner and it does create cosiness at night. The last pic is my room. The walls are grey-green which is a cool colour but we love it.

Sophie O thanked Sonia
  • Angie
    2 years ago

Adding a large/huge mirror onto the large expanse of bare wall will help bounce light around. Good advice already given on lighting and colour. Nice room. 😊

Sophie O thanked Angie
  • PRO
    Gazelle Interiors
    2 years ago

I agree with the soft pink recommendations or a nice beige colour! Accessorise in creams and warm tones. I would add a large mirror somewhere to help reflect the light. If you can opt for more overhead lighting you definitely should, that along without of reflective surfaces to help bounce light around the place.

Xx

Sophie O thanked Gazelle Interiors
  • smac232
    2 years ago

Our living room is east facing. We painted it in Little Greene Acre which is a very soft creamy green. It might work with your sofa. It looks fresh in the daylight but warm and cosy with subtle lighting in the evening. Just a thought.

Sophie O thanked smac232
  • PRO
    Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Sophie,

A yellow based neutral will counteract that cool light and warm things up for you.

Have you tried graphenstone paints - I'm thinking of Argento in particular, which will reflect the light beautifully and really enhance your lovely furnishings in a neutral comfortable warm way.

I absolutely agree with everyone above - layering your lighting is so important. If you can get some mini downlights in the corners of your room onto a dimmer switch that would make a huge difference too. I would try and add led strips under your shelving units too to add an evening glow.

Lighting is absolutely key to any interior looking its best.

Good luck!

Sophie O thanked Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
  • Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

@hedgehog99 they don't have undertones as such, we just think they do due to the effect of light etc. Colours are just whatever they are, but they can appear differently to how we expect them to depending on other factors. The undertone issue is complicated becauase all colours contain several colours and so they can appear to 'shift' depending on lots of factors. For example Skimming Stone isn't violet, but it can appear slightly so in certain lights, but put in next to White Tie and it will shift violet even more. Then there's lighting to complicate things, LED lights are evil when it comes to colour! Seriously, I heard a colour consultant say he never suggests neutrals as they're too difficult. Says it all really.

Sophie O thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
    2 years ago

That's sort of right - it is how they are made. For example, dimity - a soft white neutral by farrow and ball has red pigment in it so gives that glow (or undertone) when the light reflects off of it and particularly when paired with a stronger pink or red colour. Similarly, fresh air by Earthborn reads green in albeit a white looking colour when painted onto paper or in some spaces, but as Colourhappy describes - this is impacted on the light hitting it be it southerly, westerly, east etc as well as the colours you pair with it.

If you choose a colour with a yellow pigment (or undertone as some like to refer to it) you can counterbalance the cool light coming into a space to make it work for you : ).

Sophie O thanked Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
  • Wumi
    2 years ago

Personally, I’d paint the walls in a brilliant white and a warm rich colour for a feature wall. Maybe the TV wall or sofa wall in a red/pink/orangey colour. Could go bold or soft.

Big horizontal mirror over the sofa to bounce around light.

Also, you want lamps that uplight rather than downlight. We bought a floor anglepoise lamp and tilted it upward. Makes a huge difference.

• Keima Payton
    2 years ago

I agree with a soft pink- it will go beautifully with the green sofa.

You will need to test but consider farrow and ball as they change with the light... Maybe setting plaster?

I would also add interest with lamps. As an unusual twist in a major room consider removing coving and replacing it with lighting strips behind.

Also adding more lights to the light - this light fitting was inexpensive but adds amazing light to the playroom.

• C Wilson
    2 years ago

Our sitting room has a north facing and an east facing window, we have painted it in LG Rolling Fog distemper, we have lots of different lamps with shades that have a gold lining, cushions, art etc. in burnt orange and dark red. Think that could work really well with your lovely sofa. For pinks, Calamine by F&B is great.

• nancyorford
    2 years ago

Some curtains and/or Roman blinds in a patterned floral/geo pattern in perhaps peachey pinks & greens would soften the strongly linear windows

• Sandra Marshall
    2 years ago

I have an east facing bedroom painted in a soft grey green. It’s lovely. Refreshing in the morning and cosy at night. We have taupe and citron accents, and I have repainted it in the same colour because it works so well. I’m just about to get new bedding in forest green and I’m quite excited by that. Ours was mixed to match a fabric, but the Farrow and Ball grey greens would all work.

• Glenys P
    2 years ago

Brilliant white always looks fresh and crisp. We have a north facing room all white, bring colour in with cushions and lots of small lamps. Looks very cosy.

• M Neil
    2 years ago

Before painting, why not try moving your furniture round and switch ends? Your sofa is facing into the darkest part of the room. Try moving it to the window end turning it to face the window. Move the low unit along the wall into the same zone. Keep the rug but move it from under the sofa.

The table could be at the door end, aligned with the lights; switch to pendants. Your accessories look quite small, which can make a large room look underfurnished and cold. Invest in some larger mirrors and at least three lamps with different reflective bases, such as metal or glass to bounce the light around.

Add patterned curtains or blinds which have some of the green of the sofa in them and balance this with a darker wall at the door end, again with some of the green. Paint the other walls a very pale neutral - imagine the palest chocolate milkshake. (Check the reflectivity of the make of paint you choose. This can make quite a difference in a dark room). Fill up the plant stands with larger plants and take the colours of the flowers in that vase for soft accessories.

• J
    2 years ago

F&B India Yelloww popped into my mind whenn I saw thhe room.

• PRO
    Bocchetta Interiors
    2 years ago

I’d definitely recommend white walls to reflect the light and pops of green (and other colours) in your art work or you could go brave with a wallpaper that contains some green in as part of the design. Cole & Son have some incredible designs! If you can access the floor above you should be able to put some more spot lights in fairly easily, 3 is crazy! If not, add lots of side tables and console tables with lamps.. or you might be able to put on some surface mounted directional spot lights to bounce off the walls into the room. Dressing the window will help soften the space a little and make it feel more homely. Good luck :-)

• cavgirl
    2 years ago

I used to have a living room painted in Dulux’s Just Walnut. I loved it during the day—almost white—but at night it felt so cold and dreary and—as you say—verging on lilac. I changed all my lamp shades from white to a really deep rich crimson and accessorised with reds throughout (my sofa at the time was also red). It transformed the room and made it feel much warmer. Perhaps you could experiment with smart colour changing lightbulbs? That would allow you to play with light temperature and hue. Might make enough of a difference and it’s a cheap (and quick) option.

• Wendy H
    2 years ago

Hi Sophie

I think your room is a lovely size with great windows - they need some curtains to soften that end of the room I would suggest.

I particularly like your floor which is a warm colour. My choice would be to pick up the tones in the floor and use a buttermilk colour on the walls - something like Travertine mid from Little Green on the walls, travertine light on the ceiling and Travertine on the woodwork.

If you banish the greyish rug and look for something either with deep pink or burnt orange colours in a pattern and pick that up in a pattern on curtains and some of the cushions together with a lime green and an aqua blue to add some freshness.

I agree bigger plants and find a stand for a big plant.

Lighting - if you can access the ceiling more downlighters would be great. You could change them all to dimmable and ensure they are warm light. I also use up free standing lighters. The one in the photo has three brightness settings and is great. If you repeat you bookcase on the other side of you door you could use LED light strips above those. We have some under and above kitchen wall cupboards which are on all day in winter in our east facing kitchen. They give a lovely warm glow.

Carefully chosen paintings/prints to pick up colour from the sofa and rug and cushions.

Have fun.

• Joanna Biddolph
    2 years ago

Have you tried the golden yellow of the cushion on your sofa? That would bring it alive. if not that, you do need a yellow-based warm colour, not a blue-based cool colour, in a room that faces east. My sitting room faces east, and has only one small area of window along less than half of the length of one side of the room, so it is dark much of the time. I painted it in a terracotta colour with a warm non-white on the ceiling so it always looks warm and inviting. You can achieve the rest with lighting - have a mixture of uplighters, table lamps and wall lights (I hate overhead lighting in rooms where I will be relaxing most of the time) with a standard lamp (yours is great) to brighten a dark corner. Hanging pictures/paintings will also help make the room feel more filled with life. .

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.