anna_littlewood76

Can anyone help improve the layout of our downstairs??

Anna Littlewood
2 years ago

We want to increase our downstairs living space which involves adding on a double storey extension at the side of our house. We have no houses on this side just a bit of garden which would be quite small by the time we have extended - our main garden is at the back of our house but with no space to extend out the back because our main garden in on an hill. So, we have a patio area of about 3m at the back of the house before a retaining wall, then the hill.

Our original plan was to just extend the living space downstairs, but builders encouraged us to go double storey as they said the cost meant that we would get much for space for not much more money. We don't necessarily need more space upstairs although my husband now needs a closed off office space as he works from home full-time now.

These are our requirements:

- A bigger toilet downstairs (perhaps to incorporate a wet room)

- A kitchen that could accommodate an island

- A closed off living area downstairs, we are happy to keep the rest open

- Lots of light! The front of the house has lots of light, but not so much at the back

- More space to put coats and shoes (we have an enclosed porch which is a currently a step down from our hallway). It's nothing elaborate, just a glazed door.

We are really drawing a blank and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. We have had plans drawn up but need advice on layout as there are just too many compromises and doesn't seem to work with what we want to achieve. We are happy to move existing rooms around.

Thanks all!

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.