webuser_730535479

Is this a mix of styles? House exterior design panic!

Adele M
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Our renovation project is due to start soon. It will be a big change and we are happy with the architect structural design but aren't completely sure how to have the exterior. We thought we had settled on a brick and render combo with white UPVC windows (the ones that are supposed to look like timber), but in trying to pick the specific window design we're now wondering if it all fits together and if there's anything else we should consider..

This is a mock-up my husband has done to try to help us decide on the exterior finish (not quite to scale)

Architect's front elevation for our new house design::

Current house is all brick with white UPVC windows.

The street has a few different shapes and sizes of house so not all identical. Those near to ours are either all brick or brick/render with white windows.

We had considered various options - including all brick or just rendering the entrance section instead of a horizontal half:half. Also were tempted by grey aluminium windows for a while but in the end decided (we think!) that we prefered the more traditional look of the top-half rendered and white windows. We're not completely against a modern look but don't want the house to look too industrial.

We're now just having a last minute wobble and want to check we're not making any obvious mistakes! We don't know much about house architecture and I suspect we're mixing up elements from different periods. Does the half render look OK with the fairly modern design? How about having the windows like this with the top part divided by a single bar? (We think completely plain white UPVC windows will look a bit stark but aren't keen on the leaded windows or having georgian bars all over.) We *think* we've ruled out grey aluminium but are still slightly drawn towards the more modern look this would give.

Probably relevant though that we will be sticking with the same/similar bricks and tiles to blend the new bit with the part of the house that is staying, including the whole rear side of the house (all windows will be changed though.)

Thanks for reading. We'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.