Living room help

emma Watt

• emma Watt

I dont know what to do with the above living room. Im planning on replacing the 2 sofas with a corner sofa. But not sure how i can make it less boring and more homely. Im considering painting the wall where the fireplace is but cant decide on a colour. Also would a coffee table look wrong because the room is so small?

• siobhanmcgee90

Tv above the mantle a sofa either side of the fire, some nice new good quality curtains, some nice cushions, a few side tables and lamps, a nice large painting and a large mirror. You could also consider painting something other than white. Depending on the aspect of the room. This article might help choose paint. https://www.homesandgardens.com/amp/spaces/decorating/small-living-room-lighting-ideas-223311

emma Watt thanked siobhanmcgee90

Living room help

The paper is nice, but I agree it wouldn’t suit your preferred colour scheme. Tan sofas are wonderful as they go well with dark colours like navy, and with off whites too for a more boho/Scandi feel. I don’t think you have to decorate your home to reflect the age of it, after all very few people in Victorian houses have fussy wallpaper and chintz popular in Victorian times! Keep original features like fireplaces and picture rails but decorate with a more modern twist. Here’s a few tan sofa decor ideas, one with white walls, one with grey and the last with navy.

Living room help - what am I missing?

I think the room is looking great. I’m useless with colour but I’m seeing purple in your wallpaper and pink for the fire so would try to bring these colours in. I would also add a lamp on the side table and bring in wood for warmth. If this table is too big there’s a smaller one. The only issue with a rug (ignore the one used it was just to help my poor photoshop skills 😂 ) is that the back sofa overlaps the hearth so a rug can’t sit under the feet. If this bothers you, you could layer rugs, could be sheepskins or round rugs etc or just have a small rug in front of the sofa facing the fire with a table on

Living room help with colours

Lovely big bright room. You really can’t go wrong with green, especially a more earthy olive green. It would tie in nicely with the brown sofas. You could introduce a nice big rug too to cosy things up, although a wooden floor would look amazing, and again add a rug. I would paint the fireplace surround, maybe white, I did that to mine and it makes a real difference to a room. Keeps it looking modern but still with a traditional vibe. Some ideas.

Layout Living room. Help, please.

Hey! If the floor plans are correctly understood the second one does more sense but a quick question. Are you going for a four-seated sofa?
  • Lana

You have a nice square room. I would add a overhang floor lamp, a small black coffee table, new cushions with some black striped pattern in one or two, a side table and some wooden shelves to warm up the space.you

• lolalola73

Have you decided which sofa you are going to buy & it’s colour? That would help to give us a starting point.

emma Watt thanked lolalola73
  • emma Watt

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't chosen a sofa but will properly go for a corner charcoal grey or something similar. Im not very creative and I struggle with this sort of thing so like to play it safe. We did think about a different layout originally with the TV over the fire but settled on this layout in the end for a number of reasons.

I like the idea of putting some wooden shelves in, I think that would help. Maybe I need to get the sofa first and then work out the accessories.

• Tina Lyons

a warm beige grey sofa would look nice with the decor you already have or alternatively get some throws . I like your tv unit , your rug and the floor, your stove , mirror, etc :) You are basically nearly there lol,, just try and add a few shelves and maybe a picture that you can grab more inspiration from too. Lots and lots of possibilities . My room is an 'L' shape and id love a shape room as you have lol,, good luck ,, T

emma Watt thanked Tina Lyons
  • lolalola73

Like you suggest Emma start with your sofa as the colour and shape will dictate what else you do in the room. Use the sofa to decide on accessory tones that will match/contrast depending on how much colour you like.

emma Watt thanked lolalola73
  • Mary Ketchley

I’m curious about why you want to replace the sofas? Is it the colour? The material they are made of? They look as if they are a good size for the room. I personally like the fact that 2 separate sofas allows space for a table in the corner between them. I’m never sure if that part of a corner sofa is actually very useable anyway?

emma Watt thanked Mary Ketchley
  • Tina Lyons
    last modified: 3 months ago

i agree the sofa set you now have works because it is handy to have that corner for christmas trees and lamps etc etc,, i have a corner sofa and Mary you are so right about the corner that never really gets used except for the cats and dog lol

emma Watt thanked Tina Lyons
  • Doo LM

Hi Emma, I think you have the bones of a great room... I like Mary and Tina's ideas of keeping the sofas, and would suggest a larger side table in the corner between them with a larger lamp. I might try some boho cushions like this too, paired with some dark grey ones behind them, I think they'd work well with your rug. And maybe some grasses in a vase to the left of your hearth, or a plant in a belly basket.

emma Watt thanked Doo LM
  • Kate

You have a lovely room. You have started to introduce some colour with the cushions, but I think the room needs both colour and pattern. Here is an example of a very neutral room, but the colour and pattern from the cushions and books really bring it to life. The baskets, blanket and rug provide texture.

Painting the walls could look great your sofas would provide a bright contrast. What is the aspect of your windows, as colours will look very different in different lights?

emma Watt thanked Kate
  • Sonia

It’s a really nice room, just needs a few accessories to make it cosier. Cushions first, then a couple of floor lamps and then some artwork on the bare walls. I prefer your tv on a stand as it is. It won’t take much to make your room shine.

emma Watt thanked Sonia
  • emma Watt

Thanks, if I can get away with not having to buy a new sofa that would be great! You might have just prevented me making a mistake with the charcoal sofa. I was a little worried it might be too dark. I'll stick with the ones I have for now then and get some cushions like the ones suggested above and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestions of the floor lamp and paint etc as well. Feel much more confident about the room now.

• hedgehog99

Add art that you love and books that you’ve read. And plants.

emma Watt thanked hedgehog99
  • moorlikeit

There are some great ideas here. I particularly like the beigey pink paint suggestion as it will warm things up without overwhelming the space. It would also go well with all the items already in the room.

I also agree with other Houzzers that there is no need to replace your sofas, which do look very comfortable and in great condition. I would certainly add lots of patterned, colourful cushions; perhaps loosely geometric (as in Sonia's well-chosen pics) to echo your rug. Texture would also offer a cosiness (Doo LM's suggestion is great). Once you have the cushion fillers/inners, I would suggest buying extra cushion covers, which are easy to store and can be switched in and out as the season or your mood changes - Etsy is a great source for these. For me throws are must-haves as they provide instant cosiness and can be switched about for seasonal interest and feel as with the cushion covers.

I agree with those who feel that your TV should remain in the same position on the attractive unit. Moving it to over the fireplace would definitely detract from the lovely wood burner and mantel. It is great to have those as a focus when you are entertaining and not an overbearing television. Plus it would be a terrible viewing angle and bad for your neck! I would suggest concentrating on art works for either side of the fireplace so that becomes even more of a focal point.

I would also be inclined to place a taller plant to the left of the television but you could just wait until the one you have grows! By the way you have positioned it well at a transitional location between the 2 walls.

I think you are well on the way to creating a lovely space without spending a great deal of money. Good luck.