cbeans14

Floor Plans - Thoughts on How to Improve the Layout?

C Beans
2 years ago

Hello All -

We’re renovating a house that has had many changes over the years. While the plan is almost there, I keep coming back to the existing stairs (partly enclosed) and WC. Below is a floor plan that includes their current position but I'm wondering if there is a better option?

At the moment there is an unobstructed view from the entrance to the garden, which I love. But it still feels slightly tight when first stepping into the house.

My questions are as follows:

• Will opening the stairs make a massive difference to the feel of the hallway?
  • Are open stairs enough to create an 'airy' feel even if the WC stays where it is?
  • Or is a general reconfiguration a better solution?

My husband and I discussed relocating the WC to between the study and the 'snug', but the chimney is a lovely feature with nooks and cranies, and it would be a shame to remove it.

I also considered adding the WC to the 'bootility room' but we'd ideally like to add an internal door to the garage. And it probably isn’t ideal for guests.

There are no plans to change the playroom, living room and study.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you so much!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.