joanne_gargan

House layout and lighting

Joanne Gargan
last year

Hello. We have been exploring the possibility of raising our roof but increases in the plan design and supply costs have meant that this is now beyond us financially so.... we are going to embrace tiny house living and come up with better storage and lighting to make our small house work for us. I have made numerable sketches but I am very indecisive so hopefully some of you kind folk will share your opinions with me to help me move forward before I drive myself crazy!!

Our house is a small bungalow approximately 6.5 m x 8.5m (internal dimensions). Currently we only have one set of french doors which is our only access to the house. These lead straight into our open plan kitchen, diner, living room. They are south (slightly east) facing so up to 1pm the room is light however, since it is a long room with no other windows it gets gloomy in the living area in the afternoon. We have little kitchen storage with only 1 small cupboard for hoover, coats etc. So here are my questions / thoughts.

1) should we switch the living room and kitchen? I don't particularly want to do this as I envisage wet coats being dumped on the sofa and I think it is handy to have the kitchen next to the garden, plus we have a fire in the living room end. However, my husband is fed up dancing around the kitchen table and thinks we will get more storage and a more spacious feel.

2) - should we put a window in the wall? This will either face directly onto the pavement or 2m away from our neighbours frosted kitchen window.

- Or we could put in a velux window? Will this look funny with a long flat ceiling and then a section cut out for a velux window?

-in that case would sun tunnels be better?

3) Would you get rid of a shower enclosure and replace it with a cupboard that houses a washing machine (further from the garden though) and more storage?

I like to invite all my family to dinner so don't want too small a table and we are a family of 4 so need to keep the 3 bedrooms.

Any thoughts or design ideas gratefully received!!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.