clac0302

island . or not island

clac0302
last year
last modified: last year

Hello

need a bit of advice/opinions as very conflicted between two options, both involving some compromising.

we have recently knocked through the wall between kitchen and dining room and would like to have a big social space with new kitchen units, tables which can extend when we have people over, and a lounge area to use instead of our main lounge, with 3 seater sofa.

The layout of the room isn't the easiest one to work with because it is an L shape with various parts like a bulk head at one end and a chimney breasts along the main wall, plus door to under stairs under the bulk head and door to a small utility room at the other.

Our kitchen designer has come up with two options. One with island and one without.

The island option with induction hob, would only work if along the wall behind it we have a run of reduced depth units, because of the chimney breast wall.

The non island design has normal depth units which would protrude compared to the rest of the room because of the chimney breast.

I have added pictures of the lay out and of the 2 designs.

(The fridge and eye level double oven can only be positioned at opposite ends of the room because of height and because of bulkhead.)

Any opinions welcome, always wanted an island but I am unsure of reduced depth units, and also not sure if it will result in a crammed room adding table and 3 seater sofa ... !

Thanks

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.