webuser_838133620

What is a good dining room light?

Lighterest
last year

A well-lit dining room is a combination of all four layers of lighting: ambient, accent, task, and feature.

Ambient lighting, also known as general lighting, is the layer that intends to light up the entire room at a uniform level. This is typically accomplished with recessed ceiling lights, track lights, or wall sconces.

Accent lighting highlights a specific point of interest in the room. For example, you might use accent lighting to highlight a painting or sculpture. This can be done with directional spotlights or track lights.

Task lighting provides light for specific tasks such as reading, writing, cooking, or computer work. The ideal task light is bright but not blinding, and it should be easy to adjust. Desk lamps and under-cabinet lights are both popular choices for task lighting in the dining room.

Feature lighting is those decorative lights like chandeliers and designer lights that bring a character to space. Feature lights are usually used in addition to other layers of lighting, and they should be positioned so that they don’t cast shadows on areas where you’ll be working or eating. Chandeliers are a popular choice for dining room feature. Thanks for lighterest!

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.