Houzz Logo Print

Help with window colour and porch cladding ideas, photoshop?

HU-474501672

Hi everyone, I'm new to houzz and need some help please, ideas and photoshop images if anyone does that? My lovely old home is an ongoing project. I now need to decide on new window/door paint colours asap, but also am thinking of cladding or rendering the porch as the brick is horrid, so want things to compliment each other and the building, and also fit in better with the surrounding buildings. My neighbours have the same old stone exteriors but have square windows and glass covered porches so have gone with hard wood cladding on some exterior walls, along with anthracite grey windows which looks amazing against the granite stone, very modern. However, mine has cathedral windows not square, so I am unsure if anthracite and cedar wood cladding will translate as well on what is essentially more a cottage style of building. I've tried to view options by doing it in photoshop but am new to that also so am struggling with putting cladding in. The house is very modern inside (bonde oak, stainless steel, glass) and the courtyard at the rear is also very modern (sand coloured render, grey furniture, copper additions, firepits). Suggestions please anyone? Help with photoshop pictures to view anyone?

• Sonia

What a beautiful house. Sorry I’ve never tried photoshop but I do think painting the windows in a soft taupe, grey green or pale grey will look stunning against the grey stone. A couple of pics below. With the porch, do you mean stone cladding to match the house? I do feel rendering it to match one of the greys in the stonework will work. There are some clever photoshoppers on here so hopefully they can help!

• HU-474501672

Thanks Sonia, and yes I was thinking a grey green, like Agite Grey or Taupe/stone. I would like to have the cladding in hardwood timber but not sure that will work with the paler paint, render may be the answer. Thank you

Help with choosing colour for outdoor cladding

eliana72 Yesterday Can Someone help me with ideas on cladding I am not sure what to go with, we recently changed the windows into pvc dark colour and changed the roof Also the garage door needs to match the cladding obviously I'm in a bit of a dilemma Pictures are welcome Thanks

Porch idea

For the OP - the porch should be designed to fit in with the existing building otherwise it has the danger of looking like a big carbuncle stuck onto the house. For that reason, take your lead from the bay windows. I'd brick the sides up to the same level as the bottom of the window in the bays then glaze with similar frames and glass. The door can be the same as what you're proposing but keep the glass the same as on your house - TBH, the photo of the door doesn't look like mirrored glass, I think it's just the reflection from the photo (I might be wrong?!?). The roof can be the same as you have and either brick the front gable or glaze it.

Help, what colour windows and render?

£800,000 in debt after making sure they had taken all the money they could no doubt. The Dyes could easily solve your letterbox and sealed unit issue if they were interested in doing the right thing, as they only place these orders with another company in Lithuania, who are still the same supplier for Hatches. Fyntons/Hatches are basically selling on the contract for significant profit...if they ordered those parts again for you it would cost them next to nothing. Being a Covid issue is absolute nonsense...every other business involved in building and renovation is booming since Covid. And how strange to set up an identical business right in the middle of lockdown! Saw an opportunity to run with the money and start again.

Tiny! front entrance/porch way - need ideas!!

MATH, isn't the lovely panelling the open living room door? I agree put the coats elsewhere, but even if you do get rid of all of them, I'd still put some hooks on the other side where there is a recess so they don't obscure sight lines so much. Empty hooks are useful for visitors coats , or if you are going in and out all day and don't want to be putting your coat away constantly. I'd be tempted to hang coats low and have a shelf above them, with a mirror above the shelf.
  • Laura

I actually think the brick porch compliments the rest of the house well - matches the brick work at the window and chimney. I just think it’s needs to be softened with some planting.
    As to the windows, I think something softer than anthracite, like Sonia has suggested

HU-474501672 thanked Laura
  • siobhanmcgee90

What a beautiful characterful building. I agree, the porch picks up on the detail above the window and chimneys. I think the windows are lovely and Sonia’s suggestion is great re colour. There appears to be some water ingress on the right corner of the house and it looks like you need to do some repointing in places. The old front door could do with a coat of paint. A nice vibrant colour would be nice.

Personally I think the brickwork and gutters need attention first. I also think the driveway goes too close to the house and wide boarders would give you the opportunity of softening the house with planting.

Separately I think the red brick porch matches the chimney and above one window so I don’t have a problem with the brick- I suspect you feel it has less presence than the rest of the house but that is likely to do with its proportions and because it’s on the side of the house with fewer windows. Your approach depends on whether this is the main entrance now.

Personally I would make the big old door on the front the principal entrance, I would signpost it with a proper path, planting and big lights each side of the door or a lantern above and smart paintwork to the door. I would then obscure the small side porch with planting and since you don’t like the red brick you could clad it with oak or paint it dark green or black to make it disappear.

If the red brick porch has to be your main entrance then you need a wide path, sentry like planting to direct visitors to this door, great lighting to find it in the dark, and then I would add window frames and door frames to make this humble addition grander.

As far as window colour for the main house…… in my opinion although stone colours or brown/greys might compliment the stone this approach is successful on houses with big grand windows where yours are narrow- in fact when you see this shape window it is often much bigger on old schoolhouses or church’s. Since your windows are one of the best architectural features of the house I think it would be a pity to make them disappear- for this reason I like white with a bold colour for the front door. Or you could choose a cottage colour such as a pretty blue. But since you have taken a contemporary approach for everything else consider painting the windows in a loud brash colour such as a burnt orange, egg yolk yellow or peacock blue in order to celebrate them and help increase their perceived size versus the stonework.

colourhappy

I 100% agree with Jonathan's comment above. My first thoughts were yes, a muted colour would look 'tasteful' but the windows are so unique you could afford to be a bit edgier. I think they should be light (possibly white) or saturated. I snapped this house in St. Ives last year, the acid yellow works so well against the grey and stone. If the windows were white I would consider Arsenic for the door (Farrow and Ball) or Little Greene Citrine.

• HU-474501672

Thanks so much everyone, not sure why but I cant seem to reply to comments apart from this one. The photo is a little out of date but the only one I had, so I have nipped outside to take an up to date one, along with the neighbouring houses so you can see how they have been coverted, (see below)....which is why I was considering wood cladding the porch as mine looks out of place against them, we are right across from each other. The water ingress and pointing has been addressed (mostly) and yes, the main door is now the big one, not the porch. Temporarily white as the door colour and windows is what we are considering changing, however very bright colours is out as we are on the curtilage of listed buildings so they won't be allowed Im afraid. The wood store in the photo will likely be apinted to match whatever colour everything else is. Unfortunately I also have limited flexibility in regards to paths, planting etc as the driveway that is surrounding is owned by neighbours, and as it was an old MOD building there is tarmac right up to the house, and drains underneath the tarmac. I have put gravel and granite kerbing around instead to try to soften the 'tarmac to the front door' look, whilst deciding what else I can do. My house as it is now below, and neighbours below that.

• Louise Burke

I've been following this post with interest to see what opinions people have on it. 

Personally I think it is a charming, characterful and special old house. The windows are it's jewels and the red brick porch is built with materials used elsewhere on the facade and add a quirky bit of personality and colour. 

Consider yourself to be a lucky custodian of this property and look to preserve it's individuality by restoring not transforming, externally at least. 

Keep the windows light,  maybe a soft white rather than brilliant white and possibly the doors the same now you have replaced the old wooden one. If you were to go with a grey or stone coloured paint, like Jonathan says "the architectural detail will be lost" and the house will look drab. Likewise if you were to clad, render or paint the porch. Try to minimise the use of a whole collection of different materials used externally. 

It was interesting when you posted a picture of your neighbours house. Do consider the fact that they have the benefit of a lot of surrounding greenery to brighten and soften the look they have chosen for their property. 

I do agree with others comments that some planting would look amazing immediately around your house however if this is not possible maybe you could get a good effect with simple slate troughs. Large enough to take something of substantial size and impact mind. 

By the way, I wasn't surprised when you added the point about nearby buildings being listed as I had previously thought yours could have been in that category too.

• HU-474501672

Haha, yes a developer got hold of those and converted them. They weren't interested in developing the one I bought for some reason...maybe because it was considered too much of a mish mash of styles/materials. I like it, it's quirky!

colourhappy

I think the wood cladding on your neighbour's house is sympathetic but the grey is a bit at odds with the stone. To make something stand out it either needs to be different in 'value' as in darker than what it's next to or lighter, (light windows on darker or vice versa), or, more colourful. So you could go with a blue black. Something more colourful than anthracite, slightly bluer?

HU-474501672 thanked colourhappy
  • Sonia

I won’t say anymore except that your house is beautiful and I do feel gentle country colours would be best. It needs nothing more. On Houzz you cannot attach a comment to someone else’s, you can only add to the bottom of the comments. Quite annoying really!

HU-474501672 thanked Sonia
    Bespoke Glazing Design

Indeed - grey green or pale grey would look fantastic.

• minnie101

Lovely house. i think a soft white works best for the windows to give some contrast and highlight the windows. Whilst I suspect the log store is new i would covert the porch to a log store, which should avoid any confusion, and add planting where the log store was (perhaps some brighter green plants). I like the brick but you could just paint them or render in either the stone colour or something really dark or clad the porch and accelerate the ”greying” weathering process so it blends in.

Given the style of the new front door i think I actually prefer the white or a more muted colour. Perhaps consider painting or replacing the pots either side of the door with a brighter colour