emgoodfellow

Kitchen handles....decision burnout

emgoodfellow
last year

So after struggling with kitchen unit colour for weeks (and the wonderful colourhappy helping to cement ideas in my mind on that aspect), I'm now stuck on the choice of handles. And of course every handles comes in multiple finishes so there's that decision too.
Any thoughts on the 3 different options pictured anyone? They'll be 40 handles so it's a big mistake to make if what I choose gives the overall image a different feel than what I'm after. What different styles do these handles give to the overall feel of a room? I honestly can hardly make a decision anymore. Post covid exhaustion, working 80+ hour weeks and just soooooo many decisions still to make.
Excuse the messy playroom in the background, we're busy packing the house up for builders starting soon.

Comments (22)

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

Is there a sort of pewter finish or something that's a tinge warmer without being brass? Sorry, I may have just confused things.....

• emgoodfellow
    Original Author
    last year

Haha don't add more choices to the mix, I need choices reducing colourhappy! I was worried that something along the pewter lines would then clash with taps, sink, metal on oven fronts etc. so I stayed away from searching for those. 

I've never completed a kitchen from scratch before so never had to contemplate mixing metals etc - should it not be kept uniform?

• 1sandyh
    last year

I like the knurled!

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

Ok ignore that. I like the textured ones but are you (as I am) the sort to grab a handle with pastry clad fingers? If so, they would be hard to clean...?

• emgoodfellow
    Original Author
    last year

Very good point indeed colourhappy!! I can see me spending days of my life with a toothbrush trying to clean 40 knurled handles.

I've just fallen down a pewter handle rabbit hole - how would one mix sockets, taps etc if using pewter handles (there's some lovely ones!)?

• Juliet Docherty
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just thought pewter might be a touch less cool than steel but honestly, I wouldn't go down any more rabbit holes. I can see why people keep to goldish or silverish (black probably tricky) so I don't see why pewterish wouldn't mix with steel. Maybe go with the first one you liked......bit like shoe shopping. The textured handles are an issue though. Mine are smooth 60s style ones and I have to de-grease them sometimes, this might be tricky with knurled handles. Nice though.....

• Daisy England
    last year

I would be looking for a brass colour. Brass is making a comeback. You do need to make the right choice because once those handles are drilled that’s it. Personally l don’t like the idea of pewter with the door.

Try to avoid those handles that have a bit sticking out at the top, which unfortunately covers most of the images you have. They have a tendency to snag on clothes, towels and tea towels. I would be looking for one that has the edge level with the return if that makes sense.

Have you looked online at Hafele? To add to your confusion there are 1000s to choose from. You do have to buy through a trader as opposed to direct from Hafele but you can log on as a visitor and view the catalogue.

Toolstation and Screwfix sell a limited supply of Hafele items but if you see something you like they will give you the name of the nearest trade account holder.

• emgoodfellow
    Original Author
    last year

Textured are definitely out of the picture. When I looked at them all again in the bright South facing room, they glistened almost as much as if they were diamanté! Imaging 40 of them overpowering the doors put me off, as well as thoughts of cleaning them.

I don't have anything in the house or my belongings that's copper or gold etc, I really dislike those shades so it will definitely be along the silver lines.

• tamp75
    last year

I’d go for the smallest & simplest of the options - photo 3 I think. They don’t seem to have any extra bits that will collect grease & dust. Also, sometimes really long handles look too much in a kitchen & detract from the doors, especially if they are fitted vertically & horizontally for different cupboard & drawer configurations.

• mary scanlon
    last year

I'm for number 3.. easiest to clean and simple design. No sticky out bits!

• Jen
    last year

One more vote for the hexagon handles in photo 3. They’re a bit unusual - almost hand crafted? - very stylish, and look easier to keep clean than the other two!

• PRO
    Earl & Calam Design and Build Ltd
    last year

I like the second one down. Like the way they sit on the doors. Like their shape, simple.

• 88wj88
    last year

I went with these for my new kitchen - a D shape with a twist ( from Symphony - new build) have had many compliments - as they look different - I moved away from the chrome / steel look as there is plenty with taps sink etc. They look just as good horizontal as vertical

• Sonia
    last year

I like no 3. I have simple chrome handles similar to that and I had them fitted in a line, no ups and downs no matter how the doors open. I like a bit of symmetry! I also like knobs, but we won’t add to the confusion.......

• PRO
    Jemimah Barnett
    last year

I vote for option 3 as well. The first style, the knurled, is very trendy right now so that is going to date the fastest (not to mention issues with sparkle, and with cleaning). The 2nd style works, but the 3rd is probably the one that will continue to be elegant and practical over a longer time horizon.

Cabinet colour is lovely, great choice.

• Juliet Docherty
    last year

3 also.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    last year

Lots of colours mentioned above but I like what you have chosen. All seems to work nicely together - so I wouldn't change on the colour ...you've come this far :)

I prefer the top option as my first choice - I love the texture and depth it adds. The second choice would be the 3rd option which I love the look of and have used before in client projects. Has a real quality look to them.

Hope it helps.

• emgoodfellow
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and input! I have ordered a few more of the simple hexagon bar handle in different silver finishes, satin, polished nickel etc so I can choose the best finish, but I think the handle style itself is definitely chosen!

• CWD
    last year

One more thing to think about (sorry!) - you don't have to have all the same handles on every single door and drawer. Some might merit a longer pull, some a shorter one, some a knob rather than a bar pull. It's best for them to all come from the same range so the finish is the same though. Just have a look at some of your inspo pics and pay attention to the handles - are they all exactly the same?? Sorry I know there's a gazillion decisions to be made, but 40 pulls is a lot - maybe and uppers chould be knobs instead to lighten the visual load, add a bit of interest and make it look really intentional?

• emgoodfellow
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks CWD. They won't all be the same size pulls as I have x6 100cm drawers, x6 80cm drawers, larder fridge, dishwasher, corner pull out etc, 45cm drawers, bins, and lots of 45cm cupboards in a off set walk in pantry. No upper cupboards in either the kitchen or pantry, so there's very few things in the main kitchen that a knob could go on unfortunately....the sink cupboard and x2 45cm plain cupboards and that's it! I agree it would have broken it up visually a bit!

• Laura
    last year

From those options I would say 3 too, but they still look fiddly to clean. We have a very similar colour and style kitchen and went for nickel bow handles. Super easy to clean

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.