webuser_16713319

Removing chimney breast

Ruth House
last year

Hi, looking for some advice please,
We would like to remove the large 1.5m chimney breast in the living room. We've been told this will require a steel beam.
The chimney also runs through our master bedroom (creating an alcove) then obviously up into loft. The half of breast not containing flue creates a skinny linen cupboard on the landing.
Would you just remove the ground floor as desired for living room design. Or would you remove the whole stack through all floors and loft, then recreate breast in bedroom with plasterboard thus allowing the full width to be used to create larger linen cupboard on landing? Is there any chance removing the whole lot and making good on both floors and loft/roof would work out cheaper than putting in the beam required to support upper of stack if we only remove the ground floor portion? Anyone have any experience of such a project?
Thanks

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.