periwinkl

Kitchen finish / colours - another decision burnout!

periwinkl
last year

Hello, we're finalising a pandemic kitchen project and at long last deciding on colours and finishes. We have a general colour palette but could do with a bit of insight on finetuning our exact choices. We're brand new at this and you'll not be surprised to hear that after all the decisions on layouts, appliances, which company to go with and which cabinet door styles, the decision fatigue has truly set in!

Ours is an open plan galley kitchen of 3m x 3m, which opens out onto the living area. Here's the layout showing one bank of units along the back wall going all the way up to the ceiling, and in front of that a peninsula with a small breakfast bar area. (Ignore the colours!)

To paint a bit of a picture, there are a number of features in popular kitchens that we're not keen on: white all over, anything glossy, open shelves (hence ceiling-high wall cabinets), grey / navy blue / sage green (tired of seeing these colours), cool-toned worktops with large marble veining. I am fully OK with our kitchen not being on trend, or seen as 'unfashionable'! We would prefer it to be something we like as we have no plans of changing it again for decades to come - that also adds to the pressure to make sure we get it right the first time, of course...

As for what we have decided thus for: we're going to have all the cabinets along the back wall in Little Greene's Light Bronze Green, and the peninsula units in LG's Clay or Hammock. We have two worktop options, and are a bit torn between them. We have found the choice of worktops, after taking into account logistics and cost, to be a bit more limited so we are guided by this in then making our decisions on splashback and flooring tiles.

Option 1: Silestone Bamboo

Option 2: Silestone Blanco City

The Bamboo is a much warmer worktop with much more obvious grain, large flecks of brown, grey and ivory. The Blanco City has much smaller speckles of peach and grey on a lighter ivory background.

I love the boldness of Bamboo but the dilemma here is that the photos I've seen of it are generally unflattering, but they are often paired with wooden cabinets for a more traditional look, or otherwise look a bit dated and yellow on more modern light/cream cabinets. Unfortunately there's no chance to see a slab on its own in person to get an idea so I have to rely on photos and the small tile sample I have.

We would pair it with this backsplash:

and this flooring

Would there be too much going on? This is what they look like altogether...

Blanco City seems a 'safer' option but perhaps less interesting?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions or opinions!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.