atz_r

Position of roof lantern(s) and french vs sliding doors

atz_r
last year
last modified: last year

Hello,

We are about to finalise our potential single-storey extension of a 1930s semi-detached build and would like some advise.

Question 1

We are creating a family room with adjoining kitchen, that opens up onto a patio area and garden. The family room is 5.8m deep, and will be approx 5.7m wide. Decisions that we are contemplating:

1. would like to have a single large roof lantern in the middle, say3.5m x 3.5m (orange dotted line in floor plan). However to have this size, I will need more structural beams (ie extra expense)

2. architect has suggested 2x 2.5x1.2m roof lanterns that run parallel in the room (blue/green dotted lines in floor plan)- this means will only need 1 structural beam in the middle, and thus more cost effective.

NB. In addition to the roof lantern(s) in the living room, we will have either a flat or roof lantern in the kitchen which will be 3x1m

Whilst we can to keep the costs reasonable, if it only costs a little bit more but has more light (given the dining room area will not have direct light) would prefer the first option - welcome any thoughts.

Question 2

For the doors leading to the patio, I would like to have 2 sets of double french doors with sidelights.

Given it is a 5.7m wide space, there is not enough space for 2x a pair double french doors with 2 sidelights.

Option 1:

I was thinking of having 2 pair of double french doors with a single sidelight (1 has left side light, and 1 has a right side light) 3 panel french door attached, with a slim brick wall in between. so it would be:

<-1m wall space-> <-1 set of double french doors with left sidelight-> <-1 set of double french doors with right sidelight-> <-1m wall space->.

The french doors would be in line with the roof lantern option 2 above. (cant find an exact picture, however have double french doors next to each other in the picture attached)

Alternatively i i leave 1m wall on each side, leaving about 3.7m of door space, I was thinking of:

Option 2. a single set of double french doors with sidelights in the middle of the wall space, and possibly tall windows along until the end of each side?

Option 3. sliding door with minimal profile?

Would really appreciate any advise.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.