aaron_harris5076917

Advice - Integrated Garage Conversion, Rear Extension Fire Safety

Aaron Harris
last year
last modified: last year

Hello All,

I'm hoping to tap into the great knowledge and resources of this site, any help gratefully received.

Background Intro.

My family purchase this 1960's house (probate sale) which needs lots of work back in 2021. We have landscaped the garden and built a home studio and renovated the top floor completely. The Ground floor is under utilised space (eg Integrated Garage and 3rd downstairs bedroom). The 1st floor kitchen is tiny for a family and my son doesn't like sleeping on ground floor whilst we sleep on 2nd floor. Other houses like ours have all had the garage converted into a bedroom/habitable room and used council Building Control services no need for planning permission.

Plans.

We plan on changing the garage into a habitable space which the council have suggested we do under permitted development. This will involve a building control, good builder and a structural engineer for steel work. I do have an architect not sure about yet, need someone who has experience with building control and what you can and cannot do in a domestic house in a conservation area. I used the pre-planning service and submitted drawings. The council said I can do changes under permitted development even though we have an article 44. We originally wanted to do a small front porch extension as there is a large driveway and we didn't want to take away garden space as already built a home studio and need to leave the kids some garden!

Restrictions on intended ideas

The drawings show the original estate agent layout plans and I have drawn up a design. My original designs involved knocking down the dividing garage wall and opening up the entire ground floor. However there is a couple of issues... There are gas and electric meters on the garage wall. Also more importantly. If I remove the walls then there is no longer a safe means of escape. As we have a 2nd floor all doors (except bathroom) would have to be changed to 30 min fire doors and a fire escape plan would have to be provided to building control. Also maybe all sorts of mains fire alarms etc.

I am thinking of leaving the stairs and the back patio doors as they are. Have the downstairs garage as a kitchen/diner but keep it all closed off with doors to stop the spread of potential fire from kitchen. Separate it all from hallway/front door. But add a rear extension just big enough for a dining table and small sofa and some bi folding doors for the summer months.

Your thoughts?

Can I get away with doing all of these changes without having to make alterations to the rest of the house upstairs in terms of satisfying building control and the safe means of escape implications? Also any suggestions or ideas welcome. I appreciate there is a lot of detail to go through. Hopefully this may help others in the future.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.