webuser_184286798

Help with flat renovation floor plan!

Nathan V
last year

We’ve just bought a flat in London (classic 2 level Georgian maisonette) and want to update the floor plan so it suits us a bit better.

Current floor plan is below with the kitchen, living area and bathroom on the 1st floor and two bedrooms on the second floor.

We thought we’d get used to it, but having the bathroom downstairs (from the bedrooms) is a bit annoying and we want to move this upstairs. We can then open up the downstairs and have an open plan living / dining / kitchen space.

A rough proposed floor plan below a friend made for us. The powder room on the RHS is an issue I think as there’s a big window over the stairs and having a loo here would block off some of that good lighting into the living area.

Few of my (many!) questions would be good to hear your views:

1. I’d like a kitchen island, but my partner thinks there’s not enough space - what do you think?

2. Would be handy to have a downstairs powder room for guests, but as above not sure of the current proposed spot and unsure if it’s a bit gross / awkward to have on the other side near the kitchen?

3. Any other floor plan ideas for the downstairs space?

4. I think we’ll do a shower over bath in the new upstairs bathroom, plus loo and double sinks if possible. What dimensions does this need to be do you think so not too cramped?

5. If we’re wanting to kick off a renovation in May, I’ve seen cool antique pendant lights, tiles etc that I’ll installed - it’s not too early to be getting those sorts of things is it?

New to this so any advice very welcome!

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.