webuser_429788

Beautiful solid oak bookcase taking up space and hardly used!

Kusten Vorland
10 years ago
I bought this bookcase last year for my books, after filling 3 shelves I realised it was over the top for my small paperback collection. As much as I love it, I considered selling it on, but the size and weight mean its not easily transportable. It's about 3 Meters wide and 8ft high.
So I'm trying to think of a better use, to suit my lifestyle. I have a wonderful tea set collection and use the spare shelves to display them, but it's not a dresser and it doesn't look right.
This bookcase needs to be filled with large, leather bound hard back books to show it in all it's glory. But that's not me and I don't have any!
I'm currently thinking if I can move it into my new bedroom when its decorated and make it into a cupboard, inside I'd put my shoe and handbag collection. The space is ideal, perfect size.
It would then be used daily and serve a good purpose. Not sure how I add doors to the curved end sections. I'm thinking either shutter type doors with material or a criss cross type grid, like I've seen on dressers.
I've discounted a curtain and pole approach, I feel it needs more. Any ideas would be appreciated, I don't want to spoil it! I'm planning to draft a design spec and get a carpenter/joiner to do the work... Don't panic I'm not about to get out my cordless drill! :)

Comments (73)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.