edubya

Century Club - Homes 100+ Years Old

Emily H
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Do you live in or love a 100+ year old home? Here is the place to connect with other people living in older homes and discuss the special challenges and benefits of century old construction.

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Massachusetts Farm House · More Info

My Houzz: Eye Candy Colors Fill an 1800s New Orleans Victorian · More Info

Thistlecroft · More Info

Comments (108)

• Nancy S
    10 years ago
    We've been in our not quite 100 years old house for almost 8 months. Love it, but I'm also constantly distracted by thinking about the various projects we have planned. One is to remove a patio that was enclosed in the 70s and replace it with a small addition which will look much nicer (the weird looking appendage in the second photo is what will be removed). The other projects can be summarized as undoing what was done in the 60s and 70s.
    Emily H thanked Nancy S
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    I don't think there's a house newer than 100 years half mile radius from where we live - and I love it. It is a conservation area and we have lists of things to respect, but it's worth it. (ours is the one with purple window frames - apparently Victorians loved purple!)
    Plasturton_Gardens.jpg · More Info
  • Related Discussions

4 year old (big girl) bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi. Maybe either go a chalk pink or duck egg on the walls to add some colour. Or alternatively add the colour in the curtains, accessories and bedding. I've attached this chair from alison at home which is on clearance at the moment (found it for another post and think it will suit your room!). Images are from argos and buckeye state. I think bunting can look really good in a girls room and a way to add colour. Or if you went with the 2nd option, maybe add some framed butterfly art on the walls. Having a couple of teddies or strategically placed wooden blocks can keep the room young and look really good. By the way the pinks in these pics are pretty pink but I'd go very pastel or chalk personally and just add splashes of it.
    ...See More

Houzz Book Club: Your best book recommendations

Q

Comments (34)
    Immediate standouts are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. 'Sister' and 'Afterwards' by Rosamind Lupton are unputdownable and I have her third preordered since April, 'The Quality of Silence'. Have enjoyed all Gillian Flynn's to date though 'Sharp Objects' was a tough read. I loved 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Don't judge if you've only seen the movie, it doesn't come close to the book...nothing unusual there though. I'm working my way through 'The Gold Finch' by Donna Tartt at the moment. So far so good.
    ...See More

How old were you when you bought your first home?

Q

Comments (119)
    I was 24 and my husband to be 32, back in 1978, we paid £19,500 for a 3 bed terrace in south London. Our eldest son bought in 2001 when he was 19 and on a small Royal Navy salary whist at university, sadly he sold it to pay for his wedding and hasn't got back on the ladder since. Our middle son bought aged 23 and our daughter with her then boyfriend bought their first flat at 21 and 22 straight from university in 2008 with one of the last 100% mortgages, they move next week into their third property aged 29 & 30. It's always difficult to get on the ladder but the sooner you start the better. We all live in Surrey by the way and nobody has been funded by the bank of mum and dad.
    ...See More

Style of dining table for a small open plan mid century/modern space

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow, thank you so much for going through the effort of illustrating this for me! Really kind of you! Good point about gold chair and the different finish on the lamp- did say I was clueless didnt i🙈 Kids are 10,4 and 0 so bench could work, but tbh I dont want one, because as much as I like the way it looks, I dont think it would ne that comfortable and we will be using table a lot- meals, family games, working from home, arts and crafts, so I want everyone to be comfortable🙂 So you think the heavy table would go OK with the rest of the decor like the examples above? Swoon supposed to be super unreliable with deliveries and table not available till march so im tempted by 3 week delivery promise from. John lewis... 🙈
    ...See More
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    I agree with Chad and Maddy - we prefer a house with rooms, and doors, and use different parts of the house more, or less, according to the seasons - clustering around the fire in the winter being the obvious migration.

I remember as a child visiting friends in Devon who lived in a fortified farmhouse which had missed being listed in the Doomsday book by a couple of years, so it was built at the end of the 11th century maybe 1090 or so, I guess! I remember the walls being incredibly thick - must have been 6' or so, and the ceilings were "charmingly" low. If those walls could only talk...
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    And if you want to see the inside of one of these with some British traditional elements, have a look at this project:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/306977/Monica-s
  • shelleyhmln
    10 years ago
    My home was built in 1936. It is old enough to have some absolutely beautiful details, but new enough to have some more "modern" amenities. My last home was over 100 years old, but lacked much of the charm these homes have. It did, however, have a ghost and THAT I did not enjoy- it must have been THIS ghost. I love the ghost free atmosphere of my current home!
    The older homes that all of you enjoy are beautiful! No new builds for me!
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    We have 15 more years to go to reach the century mark, but we have loved the two houses we've lived in from the 1920's--the first a tiny, pristine Craftsman, and our current house a brick side hall colonial.
  • lellogirl
    10 years ago
    We bought a 1920's bungalow about three months ago. This is our second old house, but the oldest house we've lived in and we are both in love with it. The previous owner was the third-generation in the house and some modernization was done, which has its good and bad points, but I am delighted most with the quirky old bits.
    The childrens' rooms, I finished, but the rest of the house is a work in progress. Here are my dining room photos for before (previous owner) and after. Amazing what four days of work and very little money can do for a room.
    Moving the pendant and the table to the other side has had a dramatic impact on the flow of the house.
    One day we will buy a new lighting fixture we can agree on ;)
    I look forward to personalizing each room, because I will never sell this one!
  • Iva
    10 years ago
    lellogirl, I think your pendant light goes very well with your table and chairs, maybe no hurry to change it… I like very much this white and blue combination together with the warm honey brown, even if in varying styles...
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    I love reading the stories of folks who love their old places!

I can't wait to get back to scraping the plaster in my living room & get that finally painted!
    As a friend on my old house forum always said..."Finished is all a State of Mind"!

I couldn't agree more. When I'm achy...I relax & I'm "finished" for now!! haha
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I love old houses and I love all of your posts!
    We have an 1890 Victorian house, moved to this site in the 70s (it was originally in town and was, at one time, the Methodist parsonage). It was built by one of 3 brothers who built several houses in our little town (which has grown exponentially since we moved here - we are about 15 miles east of Ann Arbor, MI) We have lived here for 23 years, but it is our 2nd old house, actually "newer" than the first, which was a brick mansard style built in 1875. We have redone the interior, of course, over the years, the most notable the kitchen, which was the cover and main article in Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen and Bath Ideas 1995. Because there was no garage, I designed and we built a 3-bay carriage style house with a second story storage area in the style of the house (thought I had a photo of the front of this but I can't seem to find it).
    Victorian House Exterior · More Info

Exterior of house · More Info

Garage · More Info

Kathryn Peltier Design · More Info

Kathryn Peltier Design · More Info
  • Nancy S
    10 years ago
    Kathryn, your house is beautiful.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Nancy :-) I can relate to all you are doing! We have touched nearly every surface in this entire house lol. Every time I say to my husband "You know, I've been thinking...." he backs away in a panic!!! hahaha
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    Our 1895 fixerupper! Not living in it yet. Need tons of love and $$ .
  • Charlotte Dean
    10 years ago
    Is this mostly Virginia Tidewater? Love those sconces
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    Charlotte Dean, I don't really know ;( ...I lve the sconces as well. The house has a few beautiful details that we are going to try to save.
  • Charlotte Dean
    10 years ago
    we saved uneven floors -- our heart pine and built on floor joists with no subfloor. In spots we can see the ground. The attic has its original beadboard and two closet doors made from vegetable shipping boxes in the twenties. Too procious not to preserve. You are welcome to come see Miss Effie's and stay a day or two if we don't have other tenants, You would enjoy touring the Shoals area to see our old houses. . .
  • granolan
    10 years ago
    Hey everyone! I would love some feedback from folks on here! I'm contemplating an offer on a 204 year old historic home. It needs a lot of work on the interior to restore/convert it back to a residential home (it's been used as office space for 40 years). There isn't a kitchen and only 2 half bathrooms. Those issues don't concern me much as I would probably remodel those spaces anyway. The house has the main entry on the right side of the house with a hallway running the entire length of the house, with the staircase in the hallway. The hallway takes up about 1/3 of each floor (it's about 10' wide on each floor). My concern is that the floors on the second and third floor hallway are really slopped towards the outside wall. The slope is about a 3" dip on the outside wall side. The foundation is solid and all outside doors and windows are still level and function really well. Friends have told me that slopped walls are just part of the historical charm of an old home (especially a 200 year old one). What are your thoughts? Would you fix it? Is it cost prohibitive? Should I just learn to love it?
  • granolan
    10 years ago
    Should have said slopped FLOORS are just part of the historical charm.
  • Teri
    10 years ago
    I think I would focus more on those 10' wide hallways. And actually, sloped floors do add a "whimsical charm" to the really old homes where you can almost be transported back in time! Maybe your family and friends will get a kick out of that thought....(while they're walking at a tilt into the walls! LOL!) Seriously, the house looks beautiful! Please keep as much of the historical essence of it as you can, especially in the quirky arena. Makes it fun!
  • tjcandle
    10 years ago
    I love it
    I own a home built around the 1780s
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    9 years ago
    I have a 1920 house..."the Dutch cottage"...designed by an architect for himself. It's quite unique and I love it. I've lived here 21 years and my grandmother lived here for 14 years before me. At any rate, life is full of changes, and my house is currently on the market. It certainly helps to hear all of your love for old houses. One realtor said "who's going to buy this house? No one wants houses like this anymore! Everyone wants new!"
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I adore old homes. I far prefer them to new ones. :)
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    thiamom...I think you need a new agent!

It's very apparent that there are many many people who love old houses. In just this thread alone, look at all the different styles, sizes & time frames there are. There is a lid for every pot & your home will find the perfect buyer!

I guarantee it!

We'd love to see pics! I think we're a bunch of "wavy glass voyeurs" at heart.... :0)
  • tjcandle
    9 years ago
    r
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    9 years ago
    Bungalowmo...if you want to see pics, my house is listed on historicproperties.com. Just go to Midatlantic region 2 and then pricing between 500-700. It's the Easton, Maryland one shown on the right hand side, a couple down.
    I really appreciate your words of encouragement, thank you.
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You bet! That's a nice looking property! I do wish they had more photos, but at least we got to see a bit. So is "Bob" the agent you spoke of above? If he doesn't like old houses, he shouldn't be selling them.

When you find an agent with the passion that some of us have & likely lives in an old place... that's the one to hire! I think Bob needs another Job.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I swear, I know more about home styles & ballpark build years than some agents do. Example...down my street....clearly 1900 to maybe 20 classic foursquare. Listing....1940 Colonial.

Yeah....they're sorta alike.... (rolls eyes)
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    tjcandle....that's a big place from what I can see...and a nice big yard too! :0)
  • thebe
    9 years ago
    I live in a home built in Missouri in 1904 during the worlds fair. I love everything about and hate that you're told at every turn things are not the normal size. I've done a lot of renovation without changing the floor plan - it is marvelous - but my challenge is trying to heat and cool the 2nd and 3rd floors without disturbing the architecture. I'd be delighted to here if others have had this challenge and what they did.
  • Sara
    9 years ago
    Hello everyone! My husband and I recently purchased a Victorian built in 1892. We want to strip some of the wallpaper from the plaster walls but aren't sure what the best way to start this process is...any suggestions/helpful advice would be so much appreciated! Thanks :)
  • rebelweeza
    8 years ago
    hi, we're restoring an old farmhouse built around 1865. we've uncovered termites which led to entire foundation being replaced. added a small bathroom and installed storm windows. gearing up for interior work soon.
  • Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

so pleased, rebelweeza, you saving a significant part of our history. On old house takes a lot of time and maintenance, but is so worth the effort. Our 1833 farmhouse had extensive work in the early 70's, and we've improved and maintained it for over 30 years now. We moved in in 1982 so the storm windows were on for awhile. Until recently, I didn't notice that the felt strips on all of them was practically worn away. Last summer, I bought replacement felt on the internet as no stored carry it (need to know the exact width you need) and replaced it in all! The next winter noticed a big difference in heat retention - so just keep in mind to check them in 10 or 15 years... Happy you didn't replace those old windows and saved the interesting integrity of the home. Because of the constant peeling and maintaining the outside exterior, I gave in to applying vynal siding on the back and part way up the sides of the house. The front part was built in 1833, and the back part in 1850, so basically, we installed the vinal on the 'addition' only. Helped a lot with the painting chore.

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

summer

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

summer

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

• Gayle
    8 years ago
    Although out house is only 85 years old, we love it's old fashioned charm and features original to the house including the front door, hard wood floors, double hung windows with their old wavy glass, and the butler's pantry.
  • Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

some major changes in our 1833 farmhouse in the 70's were internal - back staircase, which led to hired hand's room was removed to enlarge the great room and then turning hired hand's room into upstairs laundry room; down bath downsized allowing room for a hallway and a butler's pantry, including old built in storage cupboard; galley kitchen enhanced and custom made cabinets re-using old cherry cupboard wood. Upstairs has original bathroom (very large) with claw foot tub, no cabinets but nice size storage cabinet. I moved in an old dresser with mirror for storage, and matching washstand.

• Gayle
    8 years ago
    oh, my gosh, Linda Anthony, your house is a story book house! Love it!
  • Joel Marshall
    8 years ago
    The first two pictures are from an 1878 dairy farm house we lived in for a year, fixed up and sold, we left the last remaining cow barn as we fealt it belonged as a reminder. The third home is my wife's parent's home. Land deed from 1858 (was a large farm in it's day...almost 300 acres.) The last photo is a 1912 home, just a plain old family home we JUST snatched up and are working on to this day. We'll be staying in it for a long time. My favorite was the dairy home. ALL of the orginal workmanship was there. I wish I had all of the photos from these homes on my phone to share.
  • jeremyocampo
    8 years ago
    1910 San Francisco style Victorian. Covered in vinyl siding unfortunately. We are redoing the interior floors and kitchen as we speak. Next on our list is to rip the vinyl siding. Should we or shouldn't we?
  • Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

@jeremyocampo Due to very time consuming job of scraping off peeling paint, I permitted vinyl siding on the huge back side of the house and part way up the sides - where there was a place to stop so it didn't show. Since back part was added on in 1850, there were a couple 'indent' areas probably done for the reason of an addition not looking 'like an addition'... So all parts readily seen from the road need painting, including front porch, on second floor over the porch, and partway back the front sides of the house. Cut off points were easy to see. When we 'rebuilt' our front porch, from ground up, saved the railing and pillars and put back on, never replacing anything with any modern 'parts'... The columns/pillars were hollow, so we put 4x4's inside them to help hold up the roof because of the age of columns. So peeling and painting may not be the same chore it is in NW PA, but that's what we did. I hate seeing a nice old home covered in vinyl siding - spoils the ambiance! Our back porch has old planks going horizontal which is cool too. So, if you uncover, you won't know what is under there!

• jeremyocampo
    8 years ago
    @lindaanthony I know what you mean about vinyl sidings. Not my ideal material.

So how did you start taking the vinyl siding off? Did you hire someone or did you strip the paint yourself?
  • jeremyocampo
    8 years ago
    @linda Anthony do you have any before and after photos?
  • Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

believe it or not, for all those years, no different siding was ever put on the house until we put vinyl on part of it. The repairs were well done, and there were few, from what we could tell. The garage/carriage shed was in worse shape, but even then, I made them leave one of the two swinging side doors untouched and can still open the bottom door (low enough for me to scrape and paint at will) - because it's unheated, it will peel quicker than the house. Not sure what those doors were for, except the top one was to put hay in overhead for the horse, I suppose... If you look at my previously posted pics above, you can see the fireplace chimney, added in the 1970's, and no new siding from there to the front. The 'garage', over the back porch, and the entire back are vinyl now. There were two windows removed to put in the fireplace - one above and one below. The fun part is they also made a connection to the FB chimney from that bedroom and I acquired a beautiful old, small wood stove, perhaps a 'parlor' stove, which we have connected. So all updates, last time in the mid 1970's were done from the inside - wiring, insulation, and some reconstructing of the down bath and kitchen to make room for a small hallway with a butler's pantry (which falls between the gallery kitchen and the dining room) DR is where the picture window you see on the left of the ft porch - the other picture window is in living room, with the FP. Here's a pic of the end of the garage (old carriage shed) and the grapevine wreath is hanging on that bottom door.

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

now, remember, the old/original siding looks like 'old/original' siding but all painted so it looks neat and clean. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but why would anyone want an 1833 farmhouse to look 'new'? Maintenance was the only reason we did it, and we also put all new soffet (sp?) and fascia on (overhang) because they were painted 'plywood' looking and this also cut down on the high maintenance. All the windows in the front of the house are original as well, except the one beside the chimney and on the other side of the house, the dining room has a pair of replacement windows. On the back addition, most of those windows are newer (1970's) because of some remodeling - back staircase removed to enlarge the 'great room'.

Here's the back side of the house and we are on the other side of the 'garage' which is another back porch - the remnants of the outdoor 'summer' kitchen. These old houses had outdoor kitchens due to the heat from cooking on the old cook stove, which heated the house in the summer!
    Everything you see here, except remnants of summer kitchen (now a small open porch), has vinyl siding. Upstairs, on the 1850 addition, windows were replace because of a fire which blew them out (before we bought it). However, it was contained to the 'hired hand's room' which ultimately was turned into an upstairs laundry room.

• Linda Anthony
    8 years ago

old hired hand's room/new laundry room...

• jeremyocampo
    8 years ago
    Great pictures @Linda Anthony! Your home has lots of history. I love it. We have original windows downstairs but upstairs have all been replaced by the previous owner. Bummer. We have tons on our to do list but the vinyl siding is definitely one at the top. I feel like it's taking away from the beauty of the house. Hope I'm not just being crazy.
  • Linda Anthony
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Perhaps try one section at a time and see what you find and can fix. But I would recommend leaving the overhang's alone - that would be the place things could be worse than other places and again, one less thing to 'maintain'. IF they did the porch ceiling in vinyl, I would remove that for sure - regardless. Keep in mind a board and batten style if you must repair/replace the porch ceiling - a painted ceiling is much brighter than an unpainted wood type too. Ck what is historically correct first too. Good luck!

• stacia81074
    7 years ago

Here's my 1865 farmhouse. I've wanted an old home since I was a kid and finally managed to pull it off. I love the quirkiness of it and am trying to redo/update some things while preserving its uniquity. So far no visitors have revealed themselves. :)

• Jeanne Smith
    6 years ago

My newly purchased old house. Built in 1908 in Kentucky. So excited to get moved in!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.