jc_s5

How could I hide/adapt structural column within this space?

last modified: last month

This project is the ground floor renovation of my family home. The shell has already been built and certain elements are fixed. For e.g. rooflight windows, sliding doors and structural columns.

My initial plan was to create a full run of units along the wall next to the dining table. Unfortunately due to the rooflight window above - I have decided the dining table must remain centred below it. I played with the idea of a banquette bench but have opted against it. Below was my first proposal with some basic measurements.

My next approach was to increase the utility room and create more storage in the kitchen at the expense of the Island length (2400mm down to 2100mm), also creating a favourable L-Shape layout. It has taken me quite some time to design the kitchen, utility and bathroom but considering the space I feel it now works quite well.

However, I am having trouble bringing together the TV console wall in the family room and a structural column opposite.

Reference images of a similar idea I am considering for the TV console is below, but I have no direction at all with the opposite column.

I am going for a modern Italian aesthetic, and likely going with an Italian or German furniture manufacturer. To keep in-line with the look of the house it will be fairly simple with some nice details.

Any advice, suggestions or places to go for inspiration from interior designers/architects would be greatly appreciated. I believe this could be a fairly simple dilemma for more experienced designers.

Thanks in advance! :)