rebecca_west90

A lot of money to spend, so do we?

I have posted many question on here and while I have found it incredibly helpful, and loved the suggestions that have been made in all honesty, they have been/would be over budget so I haven’t been able to consider them.

Here is where I am. I am living in a house that I wasn’t massively keen on to start with (husband wanted to move ASAP due to bad neighbours) although it ticked a lot of boxes. One of the biggest was the ability to make the back of the house open plan. We thought this would be fine….it has proved not to be. Knocking through would cost similar to an extension!! We are now considering the extension and not knocking walls down which is very limiting but it is such an awkward layout design and not a nice simple open plan space. We can also only afford to go out 2.5 meters. With our current quote, we have had to up our budget £25k.

We have lived here a year and have a 10 month old son. We have gone back and forth on how it could work and I’m worried we are completely missing something. All I really want is to make this house work (within budget, £50-£60k for everything) for us as a family space that will see us through 10 years. I have huge doubts on the current layout design that has just gone through planning (is the kitchen even in the right space?!, is there enough room in the seating area and dining area which is now below the kitchen), it just doesn’t sit right and doesn’t make the most of the space. Am I missing something? I’m/we are stuck. It’s a lot of money to spend (£58-£60k) to create a space that doesn’t make sense. Do we:

get in touch with a space planner/designer who can give ideas on the layout or reassure us
something else?
it’s not that bad, you can make it work!
do it, we will probably make the money back
just leave it, don’t do anything for 5 years (except carpets and decoration) then move