jenna_greenwood24

How to achieve a bigger kitchen

I love my house. It has everything we need but the kitchen feels a bit small (approx 8 ft x 13 ft)
(Photo 1 current layout)
We live in a dormer bungalow with a bit of an unconventional layout. I have considered putting the kitchen where our conservatory is which is currently 11 ft x 19 ft but after research it sounds as though we d need to knock it down and rebuild which I'm guessing would be costly! It is a very well built conservatory (previous owners) so would be a shame to start again. I have considered converting the garage but the width of the garage is not much bigger than the current kitchen. I have also.considered knocking through the dining room to join it to the master bedroom and make that the kitchen but I would rather not give up our bedroom. Upstairs there are 3 further bedrooms, a small office , a small ensuite and family bathroom however it is all off a smallish landing and I don't want to move upstairs with our 2 teenage girls 😆
My current thought is extending the current kitchen by 4 feet out (see photo 2 ) but there are 2 issues. One being that our front door is already on the side of our house which is a little unusual but as you approach up the drive the door is visible. By putting and extension on, it's going to hide it further! There would still be another good couple of meters to get past but still might make it look a bit odd. The other issue is is making it 12 ft x 13 ft going to make much difference? I suppose I could extend forward also inline with the living room if allowed to make it 12 ft x 15 ft but just unsure what to do.
I could just leave everything as it is but it does bug me and we will more than likely stay here forever. We did put french folding doors on the kitchen so it opens right out to the entrance hall but it just doesn't feel like that 'social' space that I want it to.