Pine or oak flooring?

Hi all,

I have a dilemma about flooring in our renovation and would appreciate any input!

I have quotes for oak (new, but hand scraped etc for patina) and pine (reclaimed Victorian) flooring, which will be for our open plan kitchen/dining/family area, as well as the playroom and lounge. Both are lovely looking, so I’d be happy either way with looks, but I’m wondering whether I’d regret choosing pine as it’s so much softer than the oak? The price saving is about £80-100 per square metre, so quite a large amount of money!

We have small children and a big dog, and the kitchen/dining/family area in particular are going to be the hardest working parts of the house, so much more likely to see some wear and tear. With both flooring options there will be patina and some bumps, so I don’t really know how much a little bit extra will impact it! I have a sample of the pine and can leave a mark in it when I push my fingernail in.

We’re hoping not to have to change the floor again, but it’s part of a big renovation so obviously any saving is useful.

Thanks so much in advance for any views!