floor solution /advice required following removal of fireplace

Hi - we removed a horrible old electric fire and harth, expecting the solid oak floor to be running underneath the harth - not the case. We now have a gap! We are planning to install wood slatted media type wall and will mount tv on this. We are thinking of buying some oak floor, fitting best we can, sanding the whole floor and laquer or oil to try and blend in. Other option would be to buy a low piece of furniture to cover it - bit not keen on that. The gap is 136cm x 38 deep - any ideas or suggestions?