catrionabalfour

Decorating a whole flat at once: how to choose colours which flow?

Catriona
10 years ago
Background:
We have just bought a flat, which we will be completely redecorating. The only piece of furniture we've bought so far is a dark grey 3-seat sofa, which will be in the living room (and so the colours we ultimately choose in that room need to go with that piece). The living room and master bedroom are north-facing, i.e. a bit gloomy, and the rest of the rooms are south-facing.

Attached images of the sofa, the living room (red accent wall, bay windows), kitchen and a guest bedroom, which is a good representation of the magnolia colour that is currently used in most rooms.

We'd like to decorate the whole flat in fairly light colours, but I would prefer to avoid magnolia/beige. I like colours on the cooler end of the spectrum, whereas my husband prefers warmer tones (he would be happy with beiges).

I have two questions:
- In what ways do we need to decorate north-facing rooms differently to sunnier, south-facing rooms?

- How do we come up with a colour scheme for the whole flat that will be harmonious, with a hall colour that links the north-facing rooms to the south-facing rooms if, indeed, they need different decoration approaches?

I have collected lots of inspiration for individual rooms, but not a great deal of practical advice for approaching the colours of a whole flat at once. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.