jeanzbeanz

Bedroom advice - finishing touches!

Gina Anderson
10 years ago
Hello everyone
I asked for advice a while ago and was requested to include photos ( https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bedroom-advice-please-dsvw-vd~700914) so here I am again... I have tidied my room ;) and taken photos of it.
I've also moved my bed - the headboard used to be below the frames. I plan to get an Eames style chair and an industrial floor lamp to put in that corner and maybe extend the gallery wall to overlap the corner a bit.

My main questions which I need your help:-
1. Does the bed look silly against that radiator and a bit cramped?... should i move it back to where it was?
2. What can I put above my bed that won't clash/compete with the gallery wall?
3. Any ideas for a great bedside lamp - there are too many bitty things on my headboard/bedside table right now, I want to replace them with something more of a statement piece
4. Should I consider a rug or would that make my room too busy?
5. What else can I put on my bed - I don't want to distract from my beautiful anthro quilt but I think some cushions would look good - just not sure what, because I don't want plain ones. I would probably get some for the chair as well

Thanks all for your help - very much appreciated!

Comments (45)

• touchadream
    10 years ago
    I kind of like the idea of the headboard below the frame. You have a boho vibe going in this room, so I would add a rug, something with an open geometric (zig zag) picking up one of the colors of the quilt. Eames chair is a great idea. I also like the idea of lamps hung from the ceiling at bedside height, either something simple and industrial or a bubble, so get some round shape going with the squared off furniture. A statement piece of art on the open wall would then finish it off...or a blown up black and white photo you love.
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks touchadream, i'm in two minds about the bed position! it probably does look better where it was before but it makes much more space where it is now. thanks for the lamps idea - also the zigzag rug - that does appeal! i was tempted to remove all those frames cus it's a bit busy for my liking, but i swapped out all my mis-matched photos for b&w photos and painted them so they are all neutral and think they can stay for now :)
  • Related Discussions

Final touches for bedroom

Q

Comments (34)
    Hi Remi, lovely room! I create original contemporary abstract paintings. Not sure of the dimensions you need but this piece would look fantastic in your room. It sparkles and shimmers with light so would work wonderfully with your sparkle wall. For more artworks please visit: www.corinnenatel.co.uk. Feel free to email me design@corinnenatel.co.uk for more information.
    ...See More

Bedroom - finishing touches

Q

Comments (3)
    I personally would aim to keep all the furniture the same colour. So if you paint i would suggest not just painting the wardrobe. A white/ off-white colour will definitely work well here. Else you could be a bit bold and go with a duck-egg blue or even teal (but i guess it depends on your daughters taste.) I dont know if you could have the furniture sandeed back to the wood. Same as the door and trims, it would add some warmth but it will depend if its possible or not. Pink as girl colour is mostly a cultural thing of the west other places have other tones such as light blue in some region of japan. You could think along those lines. Or you could go for peach, lavender or even aubergine.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (11)
    I would say there's no need to do a massive change to the colour of the furniture - pick a shade that links with the wallpaper and keep the colour light to add more vibrancy to the room. Add some pattern with one or 2 cushions for more vibrancy. You may want to consider adding a bigger feature in the room through the headboard - widening it to cover behind the bedside tables and make a bit higher too. If you are good with DIY you can create a frame for the headboard with chipboard, cover the wood with soft padding and then upholster the headboard with a dark coloured material, or add a splash of colour in the headboard (stapling the material to the back of the headboard). Another option would be to replace the headboard with wood planks behind the bed to create a contrast (you can still leave wallpaper on that wall. Giving you some illustrations below
    ...See More

Q

Comments (2)
    How old is your daughter? It is quite a grown-up bedroom. Before going to a big thing such as changing the carpet, I'd first look at the bed -- the bedspread is lovely, although quite heavy -- a soft mohair throw or three would soften things and make it much warmer and lighter in feel. A custom-made valance to cover the divan base would add a finishing touch and hide the base, so the bedspread wouldn't need to go the floor. The other thing to think about is the headboard; it could be much larger -- how about putting up one that is a bit higher, and much wider -- to go behind the bedside tables as well? You could go for a print if you liked, in a stronger fabric. That way the lamps would stand out against it. Warm pinks are good, depending on your daughter's taste. Once you'd picked out a fabric for the headboard, you could use one of these colours for the wardrobes, although if the bed is more of a feature you might not feel the need to use an additional colour there.
    ...See More
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Swap the night table to the other side of the bed to move away from the rad. A table lamp like this one from Pier One would be cool.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I love your quilt.............
    Could you paint the walls a color from the quilt? I just don't think the present wall color does it.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I couldn't straighten out your bed, so you'll have to imagine it's perpendicular to the back wall. This is the arrangement I would try.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    With dc's lamp in green and in pink.
    Gina Anderson thanked groveraxle
  • kimedge
    10 years ago
    hi, what a beaut quilt! I love the blue, and agree with DClostboy about light but I would also move the bed away from the radiator and put a small stool/table between the bed and the rad, with the blue lamp on it. If you could find some enormous over-sized pillows, and get some blue or yellow striped fabric to cover them, that would give you pattern but also add dressing to your bed, but they'd have to be pretty enormous to stand out alongside your quilt.
    To go with the bedside table, I'd also see if I could find a quirky chair to restore to go with it - probably repaint the chair and the table in bright blue and then go wild with the fabric ...... although Wallmart do this little table too.
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    there really isn't space to pull the bed away from the wall sadly :( ... just got advice from my sis and bro in law and they think i should leave it as it is currently. just need to decide on the chair/cushions/rug/lamp etc.

@angel18432 - what colour would you suggest? i thought about a light gray but not sure?
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    No, not gray. Do a pink (looks like pink on my monitor). or another color from the quilt,
    what color do you like?
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I remember this post. I would move the bed back to the original place. or turn the bed with the headboard back towards the window and put a small tall table behind it and use it as a desk if you have room. I do not like all those frames above your head when you move it back. I hate anything that could fall off the wall and kill you in your sleep, maybe that is just me. Make the bed like a day bed during the days with extra pillows
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'm curious to know where you got your nightstand from? I really like it; I just moved into a house and I no longer have the space for my nightstands anymore.
  • heneghan7
    10 years ago
    how about taking the blue from the blanket and painting the wall behind the headboard and leaving the rest the neutral...it looks navy but not sure..
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of feature walls to be honest... if I do repaint it will probably be another pale neutral colour.
    Rebecca - do you mean the bedside table? (sorry I'm English!) the freestanding furniture is about 5 years old from Marks & Spencers.
    That big blank wall does need something... Not sure whether to go for art or what... I will post again when I have found my perfect chair and lamp :)
  • Christa G
    10 years ago
    How about one wall orange to match orange of quilt.
  • PRO
    D John Design
    10 years ago
    I think you are off to a great start! The bedding is phenomenal and it looks like you have already pulled the teal for the blind from the bedding. I would get some shams made for the bed in the same teal color tones and add a throw (in another color) to finish off the bed.

Layout: The bed appears too close to the wall and should be centered more on the wall. Then you can and add another night stand of same height as the current one and pair with a gorgeous set of matching lamps like this pair from Robert Abbey. I would go with another color that is pulled from the bedspread - like orange. Additionally, it feels like you need something above the bed for a color burst. I think something round to soften all the hard lines of furniture would look great. I am a huge fan of African Headdresses (juju hats)and a colored one would look fab! It not only adds some more color to the space but additional texture and whimsy that would work well together with the bedding.

A rug is a must for a bedroom, nothing like having a cozy place to stand on when you wake up in the morning. It should be soft and comfortable and large enough to have at least 3 feet on the sides of the bed and should be a neutral.

Good Luck and enjoy the process!
  • PRO
    auburn gallery/epic interiors
    10 years ago
    as for on the bed ,choose 3 of your favourite colors from the quilt and have large cushions created for the bed in solid fabrics. I don't really see an Eames chair in this space ( too cramped)
  • pennyforyourthoughts
    10 years ago
    I would center the bed by moving it away from the wall a bit and over it, I would pick up your turquoise, pink, gold etc with some chinese paper parasols. There has to be a way to stick them on the wall if you play around with them a bit. alternatively those big tissue paper flowers might work too.
    I like the idea of the frames but they need to be anchored somehow. If you are not planning on putting a desk or bench or something underneath I would move them to another room. You could "frame" the frames by packing them in to a frame made of molding, or you could keep the favorites as leaners on top of your headboard (hope you don't live in shaky SoCal.)
    I like what you have chosen - should turn out great. Good luck!
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Something about the quilt being too big and laying on the floor bothers me. What if you took the quilt and actually used that for a large piece of wall art? You can buy quilt hangers and that would solve the problem of what to do with the walls. Then, get a solid color twin bedspread that picks up colors from the quilt. An area rug would warm up the room as well.... Maybe something light with an inset border of a black from the quilt. I'm also not a fan of the corner photo grouping in the corner. Might be that to solve the problem is to not have them. I don't like things hanging over the bed either, Some books on design might recommend against it for reasons of Feng Shui.( you don't get a true nights sleep with something that might fall on you ) That said, the grouping, if you keep it could be spread out and on the wall beside the bed. The mirrored space is awesome, love it! Maybe add something with a brighter color where the clear jars of seashells (?) are... A comfy soft chair would be nice and move that next the the bedside table so you can read by the lamp you'll put on the bedside table. You can get tall thin lamps and not take up needed space with a large footprint A floor lamp would serve the same purpose and allow for space on the table and for reading. Keep it simple, maybe black with a white shade. I seriously am "into" the quilt as an art piece on the wall. Keep the bed against the wall not in front of the window... move pictures to the wall beside the bed, add the chair and create a cozy nook, with lighting glowing up to show off the photo arrangement. I like the neutral of the walls and with a lamp it might brighten it up a lot! Do you plan anything else for the window? What about some inexpensive white sheers on a rod pushed to either side to soften the window? With the wall unit white and the white in the quilt it wouldn't look out of place. I found that just plain white sheers have saved me many times when I didn't have the money or ideas for a window treatment since the investment in the panels is about $8 and the rod could be plain black. Would soften the room a lot. Knock off harsh corners of that window. With all that's going on with the walls if you hung the antique quilt, I'd pick a solid bright bedspread and don't worry about throw pillows. I have something about those I don't like as well. Opinionated I am.. but all in fun and that's what this is about. Good luck!! I have my own projects going on so I know how frustrating it can be to get it "just right"... because you have to live there and be happy. Happy is good... and hope my 2 cents have helped.
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Idea for windows...
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Hang above blinds on wall to create illusion of higher ceilings as opposed to flush with the top of the window. Just a question. What does it look like outside the window? Do you have a view of something nice or the neighbors house?
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    view of our front garden and drive and the road... it's not a gorgeous view but not ugly!
    thanks for your ideas they are useful!
  • cottagecomfy
    10 years ago
    Loose the footboard. Center the headboard on the wall. It looks like you have the quilt turned the incorrect way. Once the footboard is off flip the quilt so it's length wise and not cross wise on the bed, you might be able to add a skirt to the bed. Put the white side cabinet/table on the left. Get a small round metal ie coffee table and set it next to the other side of the bed where you can place the chair of your choice.
  • marge1018
    10 years ago
    I would paint the walls the blue-gray color in the quilt. Put the bed angled out of the corner, bedside table on the wall side with a wall lamp overhanging the table. Put in an area rug with two or three colors from the quilt. Hang sheer flowing curtains on the window up towards the ceiling and puddling on the floor. A pretty flowering plant on the night stand with a few books. One large piece of art work on the empty wall and a slipper chair (solid, a color from the quilt ) put a few throw pillows on the bad. Roll the quilt down halfway and have the blanket underneath a co-ordinating color. Voila !!
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Another idea for your wall grouping. How about shopping for some interesting mirrors to mix in with photos. Makes the room look larger with the addition of more mirrors.
  • sbell2547
    10 years ago
    Please, please move the bed away from the rad -- it is a fire hazzard where it is! I think the bed would look better centered on the current wall with another night stand on the left side with one of the pretty lamps. If you arrange the frames over the headboard and space them out in a pretty pattern, you will have your focal wall! Then there is room for a high plant in the corner with a chair in front of it. Be sure to tuck the bed cover into the box spring for a clean, stream-lined look. A rug under the bed would be nice, too. Something in a realitively plain pattern with a pop of color from the bed cover.
  • Susan Lawson
    10 years ago
    Love the built-ins. The bed looks, to me, to crammed up to the edge of the room. What about centering it more on the wall, OR angling it on one of the corners. To me, frame/gallery wall would look more pulled together with frames all one color, if not one style. What about painting a rectangle a shade lighter than the rest of the wall to "hold" the frames?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I agree with those who've said to pull colors from the quilt for the bed cushions and rug. Move the bed away from the radiator. Put a narrow table or cushioned bench under the frames to anchor them. I've lived through an earthquake so I'm not big on having stuff above my bed. In saying that, the wall above the head-board feels bare, so go with a pulled canvas (they tend to be reasonably light-weight in the event it comes loose from the wall!) with a limited palette but that includes at least the color of the blind or one of the colors from the quilt.
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Did not read all the comments but right away thought the bed would look great coming out of the corner to the right of the window. This would create an interesting angle and break up the straight lines. Also as far as pillows do mini patterns like paisley, polka dots and a few solids in the colors of the bed spread for the bed and even a valance for the window as well as pillows for a chair ( stay small) in your fav colors in this palette. You could put a floor lamp behind the head of the bed for further interest and lighting effect. The rug idea is also a great option and a photo on night stand or minimal art on wall to right of bed.
  • dawanibijan
    10 years ago
    Hi Gina,
    I think the main problem is size of your bed room . You don't have so much options for bed position as suggested ( Center of room) . I believe you should first find the best practical position for your bed , which is either bed's head position touched with gallery wall or opposite touch to right side wall of curtain.

my suggestion is to be positioned toward photo gallery side.

At the same time you should rearrange the photo gallery and keep it more down from the ceiling and refix photo gallery in wider area, considering two imaginary lines of 25 cm from wall , 25 cm from door frame, and 50 cm from ceiling.

The empty opposite corner can be filled by desk or a colorful comfort chair .

Small carpet gives warmth to the room .

the curtain should be change because the color not matching with anything.
  • User
    10 years ago
    See you don't want plain cushions/pillows, although you should get plain teal same as blind. If having pattern, I pull out a fish scale pattern from the duvet, in black and white. Or try a diagonal lattice,which is a hot look, it is in your duvet background in neutral tones. Put rug to match blind. Love dclostboy's teal lamp.
  • Sylvie T.
    10 years ago
    Love idea of daybed. Did it in our smallest bedroom and everyone loved it.See picture attached. Gave me a chance to put large Ikea mirror just leaning against wall next to chair. You can't see it well but 2 dressers also cit. what I need to do is put a more substantial night table.
  • Sylvie T.
    10 years ago
    The mirror made my room much bigger.
  • Sylvie T.
    10 years ago
    Reviewed every comment. Think of positioning your furniture like I did in picture from previous comment, saves room, area for rug, circulation area, etc. Love your comforter and the blinds. Keep comforter off the floor ( is it too big? Can you cut it to right size?), think of a hanging lamp instead of one on night table (saves room and it gives great light to read, it is an Ikea shade just plugged into outlet, no need for electrician, just 2 hooks). Love idea of inexpensive white sheers on each side of window. Arrange your frames, add mirrors above your daybed. I would maybe change the night table for something that doesn't match, would be more bohemian and go great with quilt, something a little ragged from flea market maybe.Then, just add fun stuff you find here and there during your shopping trips. Just ideas!
  • PRO
    Alexandra Kidgell Designs
    10 years ago
    Have you thought about painting the radiator the same colour as the wall? I can't stand the prevalence of ugly radiators in this country and have just painted mine in, it looks so much better!

I would definitely extend the gallery to the adjoining wall.This would create an area of interest in the corner and look great with a chair set against it.

You have the positioning of the bed spot on in terms of usability of the room. I would pull the bed 20cm or so from the radiator and give the bedside table a little more room to 'breathe'.

Patterned cushions may look like they are trying to have a fight with the bedspread. Have you thought about textured ones? I'm currently in love with my habitat mustard velvet cushion http://www.habitat.co.uk/regency-45-x-45cm-yellow-velvet-cushion/cushions//fcp-product/93802. You could pick out the key colours from the bedspread and work with those. If you do really want pattern, try interspersing them with plain neutrals.
    Gina Anderson thanked Alexandra Kidgell Designs
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Alexandra - some great ideas. will definitely consider some textured cushions. thank you!
    can i use regular wall paint on my rad?
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Mix in a few frameless photo frames to give the wall a bit more dimension. You can always use a matt if the photo is smaller than the frame.
  • PRO
    Alexandra Kidgell Designs
    10 years ago
    Technically you should use radiator paint as there is a chance regular paint could crack or peel when the radiator is turned on. However I've painted all the radiators in my house with regular paint and not had this problem, as have many other people I know. Good luck!
  • Char S
    10 years ago
    I think a rug would be great! Here are a few ideas. I like the metalic lamp more than the glass one but either one would go with your industrial theme.
  • Char S
    10 years ago
    I love the wooden hello sign for above the bed. ..consider these other elements that will bring out your anthro cover.
  • Gina Anderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello again all and sorry for the delay! i have now got a throw and started to extend my gallery over the corner. I grabbed an old chair and rug that were kicking about in my parents' garage and put them in the corner to give me some idea of what i want. actually, i kinda like the beat-up chair but i don't think the rug looks right. is it too small?
    Now i have the reddish throw (LOVE it... from the Avoca shop in Belfast - amazing place, if you are ever in Belfast do go!!) I am actually considering replacing my blind because i prefer red tones to the turquoise. Just not sure what I would get instead?
    Still need a fab lamp and more cushions but wisdom says wait for the January sales!
    I still think I need something more eyecatching on my vanity too...
    Considering a map above my bed but I don't know if it would compete with the gallery wall too much? have to say i do love the "hello" sign!
  • reechapuri
    8 years ago

What material should be used to give solid black effect to the bed

• Lauren
    8 years ago
    On the lamp front have you considered wall mounted plug in ones either side of the bed? You can get really cool ones at good prices, it frees up bedside table space and would make for a luxe statement. Ikea do some nice inexpensive ones. Will try and find some pics.
  • taniaglen
    8 years ago
    Move the bed away from the window, you could have a chair next to the window and regroup the photo frames as they don't work in a corner.
  • PRO
    Wm Donnelly & Co Ltd
    8 years ago

Gina Anderson,

Hi, I agree with previous with previous comments, move the bed away from the radiator and place a matching night stand. With that in mind next step would be to remove the decorations from the head board and place them on the night stands, you wouldn't want them to fall on your head while you sleep, would you? As a final touch add a restful painting or any wall art that speaks to your heart on the wall above the bed. A balanced and restful place that speaks to your heart is what you need for your bedroom. Happy decorating :)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.