caroline1852

My sitting room needs help

caroline1852
10 years ago
It is our main sitting room (no TV in here but we are a piano playing family so there is a baby grand and a clavinova in the room). We entertain a fair bit and use the room in the winter for pre-dinner drinks and for reading the paper by the fire on winter weekend afternoons. We have 4 children, 6, 8, 18 and 22 and often have friends in so we do need plenty of seating. The room size is 20 feet by 20 feet and the double doors lead onto the orangery which is used as a dining room. The other door goes into the hall. The pair of windows overlook the garden.

But since it's been redecorated (it was green), it feels all wrong. I adore my grey velvet sofas and love the pure linen cream sofa too. I love the grey walls. But the rug isn't working is it (it's an antique Agfghan in red and I think it's too chilly)? I keep pulling in lamps from elswhere in the house, trying to soften/warm it al up but it feels chilly. So please ignore the number of lamps.

Can you please help me soften the room. I'm happy to buy a new rug and happy to move the cashmere cushions and spotty linen cushions elsewhere and buy new ones. And happy to introduce new things.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.