tino_masaya

Please help a hopeless girl transform her living room.

Tino Felly
10 years ago
Only 2 people responded to my last post so I'm posting again, in case my other post got lost.

Help me design this room without changing the feature wall & couch. Everything else can go or get changed up. I also hate the space at both ends of the TV. Any ideas on how to improve this? Thank U.

Comments (205)

• lucindalane
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Although this a bedroom, I think it shows just how great things can look against a wall painted in a dark shade.
    Modern Sophistication: Master Bedroom · More Info
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Trying again
  • Related Discussions

Help cleanable small living room ideas, suited for children with autis

Q

Comments (3220)
    Hey everyone! Good to hear from you all again. We have 2 wks before we go back to school. It's been a busy summer but good. My boy (14) is in marching band and they've been practicing all summer for the fall football games. He is worn out. My girl has been playing with friends and is doing a bit of a room redo herself (she is 10). Nice to see you all are well. We took a weekend a bit ago to Chincoteague VA and it was great! Hopping over to visit the corridor thread now.
    ...See More

I'm lost! Please help with my kitchen.

Q

Comments (544)
    Hello Amanda, : )) Do you mean in the kitchen? Yes a nice idea. I like flat plate too, but really plain. Well the best way to describe how I feel about certain alterations is to tell you about someone I knew who "did up" her flat to such a degree that she literally took away all that was characterful about it.. Sometimes it's best to leave things as their patina develops over time and results in something quite special. Restoration is one thing but you can also restore the life out of something and thus diminish in certain contexts the value- and so it's good to know when to stop.. So yes, I'm firmly in the camp suggesting leave them, but of course it's entirely your choice. : ))
    ...See More

Help with long narrow living room

Q

Comments (29)
    Yep her stuff is out of mine, did I tell you that before? She was suppose to move into the house and it fell through the day before so all her things bar sofa and bed had to be stored in mine( she got the keys 6days later though). All the upstairs is getting painted just now so they have stored everything in this long living room just now. I've got a HNC in interior architecture but I liked the technical side more and was also worrying of jobs( doesn't seam to be a lot of jobs in Glasgow for interior design) so I swapped to doing architectural technology, this is my 2nd year doing this course so HND, see how this year goes and either take a job at technician or go into 3rd year at uni for same course. I can't draw at all, all done con computer with cad/ sketch up/ and now Revit but I'm hopeless at that just now,, I can trace though lol
    ...See More

girls room

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Katie, If you're a little indecisive about what colour or style to add to the wall, maybe our mood light could be an option, it's remote controlled and features an automatic colour changing mode. Philips Disney Kid's LED LivingColors Micro Princess Multi-colour Table Lamp String lights would also add a cute touch without overwhelming the room. like the person above suggested you could add some personal images around the string lights. LED String Lights with Crystal Effect Droplets - White hope this helps, if you have any questions please feel free to email us at customerservice@litecraft.co.uk or you can call us on 0161 359 4777 Kind Regards, Litecraft Team
    ...See More
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Ok..this isn't showing as well as it did on the site itself but hopefully you can see enough to get the idea.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Here's an example of some glass accessories. They are pretty large, but I think they look fantastic. Concerning a vase, you don't have to put flowers in one, necessarily. I think that some kind of colored stone or glass-in layers-would look great in a contemporary setting.
    Modern Sophistication: Living Room · More Info
  • safai
    10 years ago
    Hello again. I am back now and looking forward to see your room with a new rug or both if you got another one too.
    You must be so stressed now :-(
    I just want to hug you!
  • safai
    10 years ago
    Oh and if you like that umbrella canvas so much I would love to get it for you! Please email me your address ksafai@hotmail.com x
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Tino, remember, you don't have to rush. You are keeping the couch-so, that's a done deal. You are getting some red items to adapt to your couch-done. About the rug, or any other items-if you get it and its doesn't look the way that you had thought, or hoped it would, then please don't feel you have to settle for it-for whatever reason. If you are feeling tired from all the decision-making, then give yourself a rest. The holidays are just around the corner, so just try to relax. You already have an idea what you want to do, so just take your time. We may not all be born with a designer flair, but most of us do generally know when something appeals to us, and when it doesn't. So, I think you can trust your own instincts more than you might think you can.
    Tino Felly thanked lucindalane
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK. 1st rug. Off white from Ikea. Sofa throws, underground art and plant..

Still on plant....I totally love how it transforms the room...and that Green against my wall is just...is just...amazing :-). Thinking of getting rid of all the stripped large cushions by replacing them with the red throws. I'll leave the small ones though..
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    good call on the pillows. Like the plant too. Is rug a bit small?
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    From other angle of room...
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Personally, I'd turn the rug so that it goes the direction of the table and fits just under the front of the couch. I think that will keep the rug more visually proportional.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    2nd rug....Red and off white kinda beige kinda cream. I honestly don't know what colour it is...

The mirror will go above the TV. The clock on that chimney wall. Do you think I should get another plant to place on either sides or is it too much?

One more rug left to show. Harlequin. Round table out of stock, they should have it by Saturday though.
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Love that one!...Adds great movement in the room!
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Not sure I'd go with a round table on that rug. The juxtaposition of the square and the circles is perfect.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Isn't that rug a bit small?
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It said 160 x 240 on the packaging. That should be large but for some reason, it's actually smaller. :-( returning it tomorrow.

I'm too lazy to unroll the other rug today so tomorrow it is. I like the one I just posted so will probably keep it. Was wondering if my window treatment would change? Saw some lovely ivory curtains in Harry Corry but they were not eyelets which sort of put me off. Will see if I can find a link for them.
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    I agree. The second one is great. Move those large striped pillows and personally, I think the curtains you have are fine, better than a solid would be. You've go some great movement going in there and repetition. Take a breath and look around. You'll see a reflection in your choices in the picture that of the underground. I think you'll be happy with what you see.
    Tino Felly thanked syncope
  • clealuira
    10 years ago
    lucindalane you put it much better than i did, hope i didnt offend earlier
  • mickisue
    10 years ago
    I'm in love with the second rug. And agree that you should keep the rectangular table. SEE? You are SO not hopeless. :)
    Tino Felly thanked mickisue
  • PRO
    deiman
    10 years ago
    Definatetly around table dear that rug or the table one has to go besides its too small
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    delman...which rug are you talking about? the plain beige rug or the gorgeous one with the red spirals?
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    tino...just wanted to explain the rationale behind keeping the current table. Your couch has a semi-circular front, that gorgeous red and cream rug has a circular motion, the underground pic has the circle in the sign; it appears you are using a circular clock. All of those circles are great and your placement of them will keep movement and flow in the room. However, to balance all those curves you need some straight lines too. That's where the table comes in. Your curtains and their lines, the walls, of course, the lines of the flooring: all of those things come into play when you analyze the individual elements. Obviously, we aren't doing a calculus equation here but visually you need all those elements to put the proper perspective into play. Hopefully, this will make sense to you but know that the items you have chosen so far have already given your room a fresher, lighter and more appealing look. Good job!
  • Motel Honey
    10 years ago
    It seems to be just me but the red spiral rug is so distracting, like it's trying to hypnotise me haha. The first one seems homelier - but it's up to you.
    Tino Felly thanked Motel Honey
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Joining back in...great choice on the spiral rug...thinking you've taken off your design training wheels :)
    Tino Felly thanked dclostboy
  • safai
    10 years ago
    Hi Tino, I have not seen harlequin rug yet but out of the two you posted I like the first one more even though its a bit too small for that room. The second one is not bad but feels psychedelic. My head is spinning looking at it ;-)
    I love the plant and I love the red cushions though I would position the cushions the way that left and right side of the sofa is equal. One (perhaps large stripy) in the middle and then one red and one black on each side. Small stripy ones are good too.
    Your table and curtains also look good now. No need to change them.
    As for the canvas, the image and colour wise it's all good though it wouldn't be my choice simply because it is too predictable and as I am using underground tube every day to commute last thing I would want to see is its image on my wall when I get home. But this is very personal. I ordered the umbrella canvas for you. The largest they had was 100 x 80. You should get it between 24th and 27th. ;-)
    Tino Felly thanked safai
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    It's really starting to come together, Tino. Isn't it amazing how just a few changes can perk up a place?
    Just one thing about your current curtains, and that is-they certainly match your decor, in terms of the color and pattern. However, in the photos you posted, they seem to be too long for the window, as the hem is actually laying, just a bit, on the floor. So, would it be possible to raise you curtain rod up just a bit so they will just barely touch the floor? Also, would it be possible to have them pressed, somehow? I'm not meaning to be fussy, but they look a bit rumpled, and I think it would really add to the clean, mod feel if they looked like they had a bit of "starch" in them-only figuratively speaking, of course. I think its great that your new changes have enhanced the things you have already. Just a few more "tweaks" and you should have a really stylish flat.
    Tino Felly thanked lucindalane
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Safari, how nice of you to gift the umbrella picture. I think it will look great in the room and I bet someday Tino will pay if forward.

I like your current curtains. The rug I honestly can't make up my mind. On one hand I like the repetition of the circle motif and the juxtaposition with your table on the other hand it does feel dizzy. This effect may be heightened in a photo v. Real life ... I just don't know. The plant looks great. I do hope you show a picture with the other rug, I am curious to see it in the room.
    Tino Felly thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments. Was insanely busy today but will try to fit in as much as I can...

OK! Went for 2nd rug. I like it. I really do as a matter of fact. Loving how the flat has come together. I've had some really good advice on here and I'm really grateful for all the help. OK....still haven't unwrapped Harlequin rug. I've just been really busy but like I said, the "hypnotising" rug will stay. Since the general consensus is keep the current table, also since I like it, I won't be changing it as well as the curtains. Now that I know what I want and the style I'm going for, I'll take it slow. I will experiment with new accessories blah blah but for now, I think I'm satisfied with where everything is headed.

Rngp....Thank you so much fit explaining the rationale behind keeping the curtains plus table. I hadn't looked at it like that before but after your explanation, it made sense to keep the current table. Also, thank you for all you help.

Luciandalane.....I appreciate everything you've said. Sometimes I need to be reminded that Rome wasn't built in a day...

Everybody else.....thank you, thank you, thank you for helping me. I can honestly say I'd have been lost without all of your input and editing of my ideas. By the time I'm 25, I'd be doing this professionally hehe :-)

Also, thank you Safai for the lovely canvas. I don't think I can express the gratitude in my heart. It's not everyday that people like you come my way.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Luciandalane...,..My flat has very low ceilings so the pole is almost at the every edge. I can try to move it to the maximum though but won't it look a bit erm....tight/squashed (don't know the word I'm trying to use here but I'm sure U understand)...
    I can trim the curtains though. I'm quite good with the sewing machine...or I could take them to the tailors...

Swizzle.....My sister is coming to check out the rug in case she's seeing something I'm not. I do like it though, however am a bit bothered with the type of Red. I don't know. I'm just trying to do something that'll make me happy. At the end of the day, I want to come back to a home that I love.

Another thing, was thinking of getting a second plant. Smaller and different to the one I currently have. Now I'm hooked on plants. Funny how I actually didn't want one. What does everyone think? Would it be too much? Oh....will be posting on my bedroom. I know, I know.....
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Tino...I was looking at your curtains too after luciandalane commented about it. I agree with her and was thinking that if you hemmed them right at that lowest black stripe, that might be the perfect length. They should be "kissing" the floor and that stripe looks like it would hit right at that point. To me, that would be the ideal, but if it brings them too far off the floor, you might be able to find some matching black fabric that would add an extra 1/2 inch band if necessary. Or if a little of the white on the curtain showed that would be okay too. Just throwing out options.
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Oh...and you are most welcome. I have always been a "why" person. I want to know why things work the way they do and have a "thirst for knowledge" as my old boss always said (rather taunted me, but that's another story.) Point being, if I understand the why in one situation, I can apply it to others. I sometimes explain more than I should but I think knowledge of any kind should be shared and embraced. I'm glad it helped you.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have tie-back curtains in a "natural" colour. I don't know if that makes sense but it's an off white/cream colour. They could come in handy when I get bored of the current set up. I actually don't know why I never remembered I had them. As for the curtains, I'll see if I can do the hemming myself.
    Was also thinking about that red vase I posted from TK Maxx and the tall table dclostboy suggested. Please give me ideas or would it be too much with everything going on? I don't need to add them now but I can always play about with ideas, right?
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will post lamp again in case some of you didn't see it..
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Love the lamp, where are you thinking of placing it? Oh and I bet lit, it gives a beautiful glow with that red lining to the shade.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not decided yet on where it'd go as I'm still not sure of a 2nd plant. It's either lamp or second plant.....it'd have got both but I want the living room to look as spacious as I can manage. I'm afraid of having too many items in one room
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Ok... lamps are not just items, they serve a purpose. If you need task lighting for reading a book or to set a mood or just to have something other than an overhead light on all the time, then lighting, whether that lamp (which I do love) or a torchiere or sconces are what you should consider. Most rooms need some type of task lighting. If you are wanting to accent an area of the room or fill an empty space, then I would suggest the plant as it can be moved around as needed.
  • shastacat
    10 years ago
    How about a looong crystal base lamp, tall plants next to tv, and some white sheers on either side and a white panel or two in the middle& rug # 2 ... Cheap fixes w/ lots of impact:)
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    shastacat...you lost me with the sheers? or did I miss something about the curtains?
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Tino, you have this firmly under control...let's move onto the next room. :)
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I would hang the pictures and clock and then step back and look at it. Since the harlequin is wrapped up and you don't like the color you should just keep it wrapped and return. At this point I would slow down and live with the room for a bit. I would be cautious adding more red, that is a strong color and can be overwhelming if there is too much of it. I think you have a nice balance now put until your pictures are hung it is hard to tell. You did a lot in a short amount of time.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Sounds like a plan, Tino. I really like that umbrella picture, and am looking forward to seeing where you put it. I also really like that red lamp. Just off the top of my head I don't think that its too much red, since your rug only has the slim red circle, and the couch has the red throw adding color. However, since you are the one there in the space you are the only one who can judge whether it too much color, or not.
    I'm glad that you think my ideas have been helpful-and, of course, I have a lot of company out here with a lot of good ideas, and design experience in a lot of cases.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone who helped me. My living room looks so beautiful, I keep getting compliments when people visit. U people are amazing. Also huge thank U to Safai for the wall art. Thank U, thank U. I'm really grateful to everybody
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    That is great Tino. Can you post a photo or your completed room? I am curious to see if you kept the lamp or got a plant. It is nice that all your hard work paid off.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will post. I kept the plant. I also bought a small glass table but haven't decided what to place on it yet. I've also posted on my bedroom. Again, I'm needing help :(
  • safai
    10 years ago
    Hi Tino. Great to hear it :-) I would love to see the finished room too! Please post some photos. Would love to see how it all came together.
  • PRO
    deiman
    10 years ago
    Hey tino pliz post the foto can't wait
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Hi, Tino. I hope you had a nice holiday. I'm anxious to see what you've done. ")
  • PRO
    Urban Living Online
    10 years ago
    I am very eager to see your living room.
  • Tino Felly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi guys, thank you so much for your help......BUT I can now afford a new couch and furnishings and was wondering if we could do this again? I enjoyed working with all of you before. I'll post pictures in a new thread. It's a brand new, larger apartment so more room to work with.

Happy holidays

-Ti x
  • Sandra Crowhurst
    9 years ago
    Coming in a bit late here have read some comments but I think you should move TV to the left hand corner more and put pictures on red wall think the red wall is to much x
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.