al4n

Need Help with improving kerb appeal!

al4n
10 years ago
Hi Everyone, Happy Holidays from the UK..

My first post and really hope you can help. I would like to improve the kerb appeal of our house. We bought this as a new build 2 years ago and are now starting to turn attention to the front and rear gardens.

I've never been too happy with the front. Its open plan, so many people - refuse collectors, post workers, children and dogs etc - cut across our front lawn - and far too regularly, irresponsible dog owners let their dogs do worse!
You'll also notice from the photo we have a low wall which runs around the front. It varies from around 1.5m to 1m from the house and serves little purpose in my opinion.

The other point to note, is my garage is actually part of the neighbours property (to the left in the photograph), as such, my front garden area extends beyond the corner in the photo by approximately 2 metres.

The two ideas I have in mind are to knock down rebuild the low wall around the outer edge of the lawn, where it meets the pavement and run it right along the left side to encompass all of the lawn area, or alternatively plant a hedge (red photinia or laurel being the two preferences) and in time, once established, remove the wall altogether.

I would really appreciate if you would share your thoughts on these two ideas - or any completely different ones - you may have to help me with my design dilemma.

Thanks!
Alan

Comments (66)

• KD
    10 years ago
    I don't have any particularly good suggestions off the top of my head, but one thing that occurs is that a lot of the ideas mentioned sound very American-style to me, and I feel like they'd look weird in a British neighborhood. I'm not sure if I can explain that well, it's just the feel I have after living in the US and the UK.

The more British-type suggestions that I can picture would be something like a low shrub or low fence around the outside of the lawn (perhaps not all the way to the sidewalk - depending on your choice it might look nice to have enough space between fence/hedge and sidewalk for a small bed of flowers) that doesn't screen the house very much, but does politely remind people that there is a SIDEWALK and they should be USING IT, rather than your yard.

If you do that, I would remove the current brick wall and just do something like flowerbeds near the house to give that visual frame for the doorway and path to the door without it being so heavy and RED BRICK!!!
    al4n thanked KD
  • Maraly Wagner
    10 years ago
    A brick wall in the front would shrink your yard. Iron would open it up. It is a beautiful home!
    al4n thanked Maraly Wagner
  • Related Discussions

Improve kerb appeal of 1958 bungalow

Q

Comments (20)
    A lovely sized bungalow! I think the problem here is that the scape seems to blend into one and there is no focal point. A coat of paint to the render would work wonders and I agree with the other comments to add in and change the current shrubbery. If you have chance to change the doors, I would suggest a colour other than brown, with so much roof space the brown is very overwhelming. I would also suggest some outside downlighting against the render. Good lighting can improve the look of any home. This doesn't have to be expensive either. Hope this helps and good luck
    ...See More

How to improve kerb appeal

Q

Comments (10)
    Just for the record I think this is a lovely looking mid century property and i feel it benefits from the shape of the chimney and the dormer window. Without them you'd have a featureless aspect! Even if you retain the white windows, (because that's a huge job), I would definitely change your front door to something that isn't PVC. White PVC doors date properties, but not in a charming way. If you have a hefty budget then horizontal wood cladding (or that faux wood porcelain stuff, that's already greyed) would elongate the walls and make it look wonderful. Might try a mock up on my old laptop.
    ...See More

Improve curb appeal of my ugly duckling house

Q

Comments (13)
    To get to picture 2 you would need to convert the garage and add a gable to bring it forward with the other and very doable to make it symmetrical. You also need to think about approach. Pic 1 it looks like very little space in from car to house whilst Pic 2 has a hedge in front, so working on hard and soft landscaping would help.
    ...See More

Help, what colour front door for improved curb appeal ??

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you Celerygirl and everyone else. I think I have made my decision now for now. Black !!! I am going to have the door frames, sidelights and door in Black and centralised, the brick work extended at the top of the frame and a roof light installed in the roof. Its exactly what I didn't think I wanted but what sits right with me. Many thanks for all of your help I will update you all with the result in November when we are due to carry out the work.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Love your house as is. I cannot believe it is new construction. it looks like a fabulous antique home. Here is my suggestion should you want a change.

Delancey Place Townhouse · More Info
    al4n thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    You should go in for a welcoming entrance area. Even a small area can offer a charming greeting. Paint your front door with a strong color so that it stands out from the rest of the house.Embellish the door further with a knocker, polished-metal name plate and a wreath, bunch of pussy willows or basket of flowers.
    Accessories like flower-filled planters. Make a small entryway inviting with planter boxes or ivy-covered trellis panels flanking the entrance, or display a lamp on a table next to the door.You could also think of a rose- or clematis-covered pergola makes a lasting impression.
    A wrought iron fence gives stately elegance and tall wood slats for privacy. So if like it you should go in for a combination of both.
    al4n thanked Robert
  • Ann Whitfield
    10 years ago
    I love the red door!!! Then I would curve the walkway and go with a flowering hedge instead of the wall. An arch and gate of some short would be e welcoming at the sidewalk of your walkway. To keep people from cutting across plant something with large thorns.
    Shudders for sure .You have a beautiful house and it will only become more so with the proper landscape.
    al4n thanked Ann Whitfield
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Gorgeous home and brick work. I would not remove the wall. I would hedge around the outer edge of the lawn and have a gate at the front of the walk. I would let the hedge grow to 4 feet tall. Now if you don't care for lawn, replace it with pea gravel. This would make a great gravel garden area for a teak bench and potting display, and will give you privacy in your front garden. The trees are a very wise addition. On the outside corner of the house. I would add an Italian cypress to soften the corner of the house.
    al4n thanked Cat Rowe
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi ! Just adding my 10p's worth !! If you keep the wall ( as expensive to whip it out !) - but plant low growing ground cover - maybe something like white Heather - in front of the wall, covering all the area that was grass , it will be maintenance free (ish) and low enough to not interfere with the sight lines of drivers and people won't cut across like they do at present ... I think the perception is your property starts behind the wall- hence peoples lack of respect for that front part ! ( Keep the trees though ! ) add some white heather in large tubs in the gaps either side of your windows to link the two areas visually ...
    al4n thanked OnePlan
  • al4n
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Morning All,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to respond and offering so many good ideas! Some of the suggestions - hedging only, wrought iron railing only, railing and hedging together, low wall, low rail and hedging - have been used in my neighborhood already, which is encouraging. I'll take some snaps and post them here for you all to see in the next few days.

I'm still torn between options and am going to speak with the builder / developer to check whether they have any issues with me changing the appearance of the front yard yet, the height of any potential wall / rail, whether they can supply bricks (to ensure a good match with the house / used for the wall already, and potentially some of their guys to actually do the work rather than find and employ 'an outside' builder to do it. They don't return to work until 6th Jan, so I have a few more days to consider options.

And thanks for the nice comments about the house. I'm glad you like my little piece of the UK!
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Just a note on hedges. From a security point of view, a hedge (or any tallish solid wall) would provide cover for n'er do wells intent on breaking in. Sometimes it pays to have your entrance visible to neighbours.
    I'm betting the set back wall has to do with town bylaws and corner lots. If it is, you can still plant low growing bushes to persuade walkers to use the sidewalk.
    Love your house btw, would never have thought it was new construction. It has a lovely cozy cottage look to it. How many square feet do you have in there?
  • Jenny
    10 years ago
    I love your little piece of the UK. This is my home in Sydney, Australia. You have a lot more potential than I do as we have concrete right up to house. I think that's why I was so in favour of some hedging as I can't do that. I still think it will look good with your home.
    Have fun.
  • al4n
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anne, I think you might be right, and I have a nagging doubt about being able to build a wall, so I'm hoping the conversation with the builder (and if need be the council as they'll soon be taking on the development) will solve this. In the neighborhood, there are other open plan corner plots that support the visibility at junctions argument, but then there are a few which seem to contradict it.. I'll take a few pics when I'm home to show you.

Not sure about the square footage - I'll check and let you know...

Jennyx - OMG! That's a fabulous place! And it's in Sydney! (have been to Australia a few times, but never there unfortunately) And that's a great looking car parked outside.. I like your style!

Just don't mention the cricket please..
  • Jenny
    10 years ago
    Don't worry Al4n, when the cricket is on I go shopping, but I have heard some rumours about what may have happened!
    Can you see the similarities in our houses? Mine was built in the 60's which is why yours looks so great as it has that old worldly charm.
    al4n thanked Jenny
  • PRO
    All About Windows Inc
    10 years ago
    Put some board and batten shutters on the house. They will look great
    al4n thanked All About Windows Inc
  • smartin1
    10 years ago
    No suggestions... Just wanted to say I love the house! It looks so historic and charming!
    al4n thanked smartin1
  • al4n
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A quick update - I've had quotes for knocking the wall down and rebuilding, as well as iron railings (which would be in keeping with some of the other houses in the neighbourhood) both options left me needing a stiff drink! I hadn't expected them to be quite so expensive! So, given this is one project on a long list for both gardens this year, I'm now focussing on removing the wall and planting a border of red photinia along the edge of the lawn. Will keep you posted on progress!
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Curious to know if the brick quote includes saving the brick? Might be worth looking into to see if you can re use it for the walk way?
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    Hi Al4n. What a lovely home you have! It really expresses a historical and traditional feel like most houzzers have already said. We have to agree that functional shutters will truly make a difference to your curb appeal. They will not only enhance it, but they will also add a little more charm!

If you are looking to go the traditional route, we would recommend adding a panel or louvered shutter style. If you are looking to go with a more charming, cottage feel we would recommend Board and Batten shutters like All About Windows Inc has suggested. In fact, we would probably choose Board and Battens because we are suckers for charming cottages. :)

If you would like to see shutters installed on your home before the actual installation, please take advantage of our Shutter Snapshot application. Simply submit this photo and we will add shutters of your choice and color and send you the photo back with the shutters installed!

http://www.timberlane.com/resource-center/shutter-snapshot
  • al4n
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi All, a few images to show progress! The wall has been removed, I've added a decorative stone to the side of the path (but kept the path straight),planted two Bay trees and some Box, started to make good the lawn where the wall was removed and dug a bed ready for the Photinia..
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Lovely! Thanks for the update :-)
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Oh, that looks nice. Inviting in a 'welcome to my home' sort of way, not a 'please cut across my front garden' sort of way. I'd maybe just add the option of some easy to change out seasonal planting near the door - maybe a couple of largeish plant pots or something? That way you can have some color and have a bit of fun with what you try without it being a disaster if you end up hating something. :)
  • newman1958
    10 years ago
    I always like to see a roof over the front stoop. I can not do photo ops as of yet. The post should be round pillars. They are graceful. Make the small part ,inside the wall, a stone patio for a front area seating.
  • jjmezzo
    10 years ago
    Hi, what about not doing anything with your small brick wall. Instead plant tall shrubs on the corners of the house within that wall.. that will soften those vertical edges of the house (and possibly grow to 2nd floor). In addition to that.. spend money on making your entrance appear larger. Twice the size. Large layered trim. I like the lines it has, but it needs to have more of a focal-draw for the size of your house. Have to say also..black downspouts and white trimmed windows all play tug-a-war. what about changing them to all to similar color?
  • Jenny
    10 years ago
    Looks great. You have been busy!
    Thanks for the photos.
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Looking wonderful, I too appreciate seeing the progress!
  • Joy
    10 years ago
    I like the direction you are going. Stately, refined and definitely welcoming. :-) It will be fun to follow your progress! Thanks for posting!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 years ago
    +1 to what you are already doing, good job!
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    Possibly add shutters (white to match the trim or gray to coordinate with the roof. You could also paint the front door. Seasonal color (flowers) in front of the brick wall would also add some "POP".
  • resident
    10 years ago
    al4n is SPOT ON with finishing the entry walk and losing the brick wall. I like the idea of a low iron fence, or just at the corner. It's a beautiful historic home. A change of color; historic of course, to the door and shutters and complimented with urns w/ elegant plantings, at the end of the entry walk and either side of the door, plantings under the street sign. You'll have the best CURB appeal of your neighborhood.
  • Joy
    10 years ago
    Please don't put shutters on your house. I feel it a such a predictable thing to do. Your house is so beautiful the way it is. I feel the windows "sing" just with the headers.
  • resident
    10 years ago
    NO!! NO SHUTTERS Pleeeeaase ..... but, then again, it is your home :)
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    We obviously vote for shutters, like previously mentioned, but if they are added please make sure they are properly fitted. The ones rendered above by Kevin are not properly fitted. Shutters should typically measure out to be half the size of the window.

If they are added with hardware, they will truly add a sense of historical charm.
  • al4n
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Everyone. quick update - we've planted Red Robin plants along the front edge of our lawn now .. it needed 66 of them to complete the border .. and now we just need them to grow! As I want them to be a solid border about as high as the road sign.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and suggestions, I really appreciate the alternate views and options.

Hope you're all having a great Easter!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Looks really good, it will be quite perfect when it all fills in and gets taller, won't take long at all. Well done and Happy Easter to you too :)
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Wonderful.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Perfect!
  • Jenny
    9 years ago
    Hi Al4n its been a year since your post. Just wondering how the hedge is coming along?
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    Put your photinias. Or hypericum. Or fatsia japonica in your grassed area.
    Widen your path. Add railings to the wall- all finished in a couple of weekends!
  • LTS
    9 years ago
    Wow it looks beautiful!
  • al4n
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the reminder - wow! has it been a year already.. This is how the hedge is coming along..
  • beccico
    8 years ago

Lovely, have the bay trees gone?

• al4n
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi beccico, yes! Well Spotted. The more I looked at them, particularly as the Photinia has grown, the less I liked how they looked. Not sure if it was because of the soft / undefined edge to where the Photinia stopped or because the Bay's were in the ground.. They're now in pots either side of our french doors in the back garden and look much better.

• PRO
    Primrose
    8 years ago

You could opt for some exotic bamboo instead of hedging, or maybe even some screening :)

• PRO
    Jane Harries Garden Designs
    8 years ago

Hello Alan - I've just found your conversation and was interested to see your before and after photos - the house looks a lot more 'settled' into the land with the new front garden, it's very nice. One thing - you could grow a climber or too on one of the walls - the big side wall would be a great place for a rose, or something self-clinging like hydrangea petiolaris if you don't want to prune it every year or so. With roses you get the scent, too!

• PRO
    Contemporary PostUltra Art
    7 years ago

no wall makes the house look cheap. Its your land, don't share it with dogs pooping on your lawn.

• Jenny
    7 years ago
    Hi al4n, it's now Easter 2017, and you first posted in 2013! I bet the hedge and front garden look amazing now. Would love an update if you are inclined? Jenny (Australia)
  • al4n
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi All, Here's an update. The hedges have settled in nicely over the last 4 years (has it really been that long already?!) They had a trim at the weekend, not the best time of year to cut Phontinia I know, but they had gotten a little out of control..

I intend to add a gate over the next few months and continue to plant the beds along the house. They currently have hydrangea and French lavender plants (oh and the odd azalea) in them but need more. Also going to plant a border of box around each of the beds the trees on the lawn are in - hence why these look a little scruffy at the mo..

I've considered growing something on the walls, but still not sure what or how. Each summer I add two hanging baskets either side of the front door - which help break it up a little.

Still very much a work in progress (aren't they always ;-) ) but I like it.

Thanks for all the comments, ideas and suggestions - much appreciated!

• PRO
    Contemporary PostUltra Art
    7 years ago

looks good goldfish

• smart panties
    6 years ago

What a great transformation! Thank you for update!

• PRO
    V.I.P Walls Interior Specialist
    6 years ago
    A faux box hedge on top of the wall mite look good. Only small square style. We installed some faux box hedge panels to this shop front to hide lots of cables and it looked great.
  • PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    6 years ago

as designed & spec'd by Walk!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.