al4n

Need Help with improving kerb appeal!

al4n
10 years ago
Hi Everyone, Happy Holidays from the UK..

My first post and really hope you can help. I would like to improve the kerb appeal of our house. We bought this as a new build 2 years ago and are now starting to turn attention to the front and rear gardens.

I've never been too happy with the front. Its open plan, so many people - refuse collectors, post workers, children and dogs etc - cut across our front lawn - and far too regularly, irresponsible dog owners let their dogs do worse!
You'll also notice from the photo we have a low wall which runs around the front. It varies from around 1.5m to 1m from the house and serves little purpose in my opinion.

The other point to note, is my garage is actually part of the neighbours property (to the left in the photograph), as such, my front garden area extends beyond the corner in the photo by approximately 2 metres.

The two ideas I have in mind are to knock down rebuild the low wall around the outer edge of the lawn, where it meets the pavement and run it right along the left side to encompass all of the lawn area, or alternatively plant a hedge (red photinia or laurel being the two preferences) and in time, once established, remove the wall altogether.

I would really appreciate if you would share your thoughts on these two ideas - or any completely different ones - you may have to help me with my design dilemma.

Thanks!
Alan

Comments (66)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.