victoriahertfordshire

Which style of bath tub do you prefer? Free standing or in a deck?

Victoria
I am building a house and am laying out my master bath with the tub and shower end to end along the long wall. Either I can sit the tub in a deck and form a bench into the shower, or I can have a free standing tub and form the shower bench differently. I have room to do either option.
We will be in this house for 10-15 years I imagine. Which is the better option?
Tub in a deck
Free standing tub

• Victoria
    Yes, I don't like the third one either. This is one we put in in Cornwall, no good shots of it really
  • dbh
    We gutted our bathroom and put in a free-standing tub (Victoria & Albert) and really love it. I like the cleanness of it-- very sleek, and the bathroom actually seems much larger with it-- than with one built-in. The tiler had to build out a wall for the plumbing, the way our plumbing was set up. He was going to just build out (about 5 inches deep) all the way up the wall, though he didn't need to do that. So I asked him to just stop it where he needed to, and that allowed for the top of the built-out wall to give us a 5" deep ledge to put everything. Even if you didn't have to hide interior plumbing like that, you could build out a similar wall, if you're going to re-tile anyway (for free-standing tub purposes and if you can spare the space).

Inset v. freestanding bathtub

Honestly, I think the freestanding tubs are a bit of a fad. They have a wonderful old-fashioned look (and I have an original clawfoot one in my 1920's era bathroom, which I love). But I don't think that a lovely inset tub with a deck around it (which is MUCH more convenient for perching your shampoo or bubblebath or soap) will ever go out of style. What may fluctuate is the popularity of some of the shapes, sizes, and materials. Some contemporary inset tubs I like:

Is a bath in the bedroom a good idea?

I've enjoyed this in a holiday let (NorthWest Georgia, USA) as part of the very rustic charming cabin decor - the bath was a reproduction Victorian hip bath set in front of a rather large fireplace. It felt and looked wonderful. But water did splash beyond the slate tiling no matter how careful we were and our hostess told us they were seriously considering either adding a 3" lip all the way around the tiled area, or removing the bath completely. I've wondered ever since what she did in the end.

Do we have room for a walk in shower and bath tub?

Hello there, as far as bathroom fixtures go, we've just launched a new collection which would fit in very well with the Scandinavian style you're after. The collection is called Modern Minimalist and has those clean, crisp lines and sleek shapes synonymous with Scandinavian design. Here is a link to the collection in full and below are a couple of images to give you an idea of what's available... MySlim Rettangolari Mia Cascade Let me know if you'd like more info! Thanks, Maxine, Smart Showers Ltd Tel. 01793 822775 Email. admin@smartshowers.co.uk Website. www.smartshowers.co.uk

POLL - Which kitchen do you prefer? Contemporary vs Traditional

Coming onto this post a year late! Yes, I too don't really like either of the kitchens chosen and even prefer the contemporary one! But I'm a trad gal at heart and echo some of the comments above about homeliness and character that it gives...
  • mefor
    Yes, that's a bit like the second one. Maybe like that, with a bit of built in on the ends :)
  • sunnie2day
    Victoria, that entire bathroom is gorgeous! Love the tile (marble?), and love the tub is rounded, it looks wonderful in there!
  • Victoria
    Thank you Sunnie, it is a porcelain tile designed to look like statuary marble (statuario)
  • Carolina
    Our bath is done like in the second photo, only our tub needed a tiled front. Because of all the jets in it, there wasn't a free standing model. But it's semi built in, with the tile surround being flush with the top of the bath. A less 'massive' look and it gives you space to put your bathing necessities (like wine and candles) on.
    Lovely bathroom in the Cornwall cottage Victoria.
  • Carolina
    Thought of towel storage?
  • Victoria
    I like the layout of these two bathrooms and after consideration, discussion with DH and chalking things on the floor for size, we think this is what we will go for. We reserve the option to put an obscure glass partition between the vanity and the toilet. Any comments or suggestions?
  • dbh
    These are very nice, Victoria. Love the spaciousness (that you must have to work with, based on these samples). Really like this a lot, though that is a lot of glass to keep sparkling. :)
  • Victoria
    The look I hope to achieve, not sure I can magic that much space. Maybe if I just light it really well it will appear larger :-)

We are going to fit a water softener so that will help with the glass (I hope)!
  • sunnie2day
    We had a squeegie hanging in the cubicle in the old house, it was part of the shower finish to squeegie the glass before getting out, lol! Well, I laugh but it worked nicely.

I love No1, Victoria but then I'm becoming seriously hooked on marble (thank-you Shelley:). No2 is would definitely appeal to my husband, and it is close (without the space, lol, and tub) to where we're headed with the new en suite here. I had no say in this, if I had it would be as close to No1 as possible!
  • Victoria
    Number 1 is my favourite too, also DH's but we will probably do it in a marble effect porcelain to avoid water marking. I have a rather lovely stainless steel squeegee from Ikea that cost me a fiver...
  • dbh
    We have a squeegee, too, that I got at the Container Store. I love it. It's just a thing now-- squeegee-ing that glass after a shower. But I've run out of the stuff that my glass shower installers gave me to clean glass. Anybody have good suggestions of what to use? The glass itself was treated, so I'm nervous about using something that could possibly harm that treatment?? I could go back out there and buy some, but it's a trip. So what's good to use?
  • shelleyuk
    Ooo lovely marble bathroom. I love the layout with the shower next to the bath too. Very unusual for UK and will be ahead of its time here.

I feel like I'm always leading you astray at the moment sunnie!
  • shelleyuk
    I have the same bath as your cornwall bath Victoria!
  • Victoria
    Lol! I have statuario marble effect porcelain there, will do a different one here.
  • momof5x
    I would definitely go for the first one as it offers space too, I wish my bath was like that. I have a Jacuzzi but finding it very difficult to get in and out! New house too, but problem is that floor level of tub floor and floor outside the tub is lower. I feel the tub wall is higher than I am used too.
    OnePlan
    They both look lovely ! My vote goes to the whiter one too !! Will be fab !!
  • steff13
    Zuma makes a nice very simple acrylic under mount or drop in tub...I wished all manufacturers would make tubs slightly shorter...getting in and out makes it slightly difficult.. I have done 3 under mounts loved them all.. last two made front of deck narrower to ease getting in and out . would not do a drop in as it is uncomfortable sitting on deck..I agree that freestanding looks great...but cleaning and lack of space for bath necessities make it impractical ..
  • steff13
    This discussion has made my decision... on freestanding vs. built in...Built in hands down
  • mamainheels

I just stumbled upon this thread. I have a free standing tub that I'm in the process of installing. It will be installed against the wall or 3 inches max away from the wall. Either way, my concern is how to clean up the water spilling over. We have kids and they love to splash water during their baths. Something I didn't think about before. Too late to return the free standing tub so I'm looking for ways to clean around it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• dbh

How deep is the tub? We have two free-standing tubs, and they're different from each other-- but both pretty deep. It would be tough for water to spill out over it unless it was filled to the brim. Lots of splashing I guess could do it? I would just put down bath mats? Or . . . that close to the wall, it will probably hit the wall, too. If it's deep, and most free-standing ones are, I just wouldn't fill it up so high that splashing water will be such a problem.

• feeny

You might consider tiling the wall(s) next to the bathtub up to chair rail height. That way, between a tile floor and a tile wall, any spill over couldn't do damage.

• Tony McIntyre
    It depends on what style of bathroom
  • Victoria
    Not finished yet, but I did this in the end.
  • steff13

looks great..

Daman of Witham
    We spec many more freestanders than fitted. Both can look beautiful but I personally prefer a nice Victoria & Albert bath like the Barcelona
  • dbh

Beautiful bathroom. Love the wide tub decking and all the tile surround.

Homejoy
    Sounds like lots of folks are struggling to weigh up bathroom design with ease of cleaning. Perhaps Homejoy can help so you don't have to compromise or spend lots of time cleaning around the tub?
    www.homejoy.com
  • Victoria
    Shower screen went in today.
  • Carolina

Wow wow wow...! Beautiful!

Daman of Witham

Freestanding has always been our most popular of the two. However inset baths can look beautiful

Mr & Mrs Wright · More Info

Mr & Mrs Lowe, Hazeleigh · More Info

Master Ensuite, Little Baddow · More Info

Stunning Essex Bathroom, Created with our House of Daman Team · More Info

www.damans.co.uk

AL PAINTING LTD

Fantastic!

Indigo Acre

It all depends on the client's brief however the free standing bath tub is the more modern and stylish! If your wanting a unique feature then Free standing is a great choice.

Charles Brooks Bathrooms

We have some beautiful freestanding baths on our website

www.charlesbrooks.com

Indigo Acre

Great we will have a look!

ABM Interiors

Its a bit more bespoke.

• southernpointofview

I can appreciate the merits of both, but I prefer freestanding.

User

I like this photo of the freestanding tub.

Indesign Bathrooms & Kitchens

that is a very good photograph

Keystone Restoration Ltd

Really love free standing baths!

Jones & Shuffs Ltd.

We love free standing bath tubs

Cabuchon Bathforms

You can use side panels to create a free standing bath that would work aesthetically and, optionally, as part of a wetroom-style bathroom.

Cabuchon Bathforms
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can use side panels or a deck/surround to create what is, in effect, a free standing bath that would work well aesthetically and, optionally, as part of a wetroom-style bathroom. Deep soaking tubs are especially effective for such projects; they have smaller footprint, which affords more room in the shower area, but their greater depth makes them exceptionally comfortable.

1st Ability ltd

Given the option I would go with a free-standing bath as this creates a more luxurious looking bathroom.

Bathroom Warehouse

I would always go for a free standing where space permits

Mulcare-Ball Ltd

Free Standing always gives a Wow factor!

Seven Design Service

If you are building this bath and shower for a luxurious en-suite then I prefer a free standing bath and separate shower cubicle, but if this is for a family bathroom, then I like a bath in a deck as with some clever design you can incorporate storage to hide all the necessary items but keep the overall appearance clear and clutter free.

Plans 4 Your Home

Decks are great

User
    I love the look of the free standing tub but the tub in a deck is far more practical and can also look beautiful when artfully designed.