victoriahertfordshire

Which style of bath tub do you prefer? Free standing or in a deck?

Victoria
8 years ago
I am building a house and am laying out my master bath with the tub and shower end to end along the long wall. Either I can sit the tub in a deck and form a bench into the shower, or I can have a free standing tub and form the shower bench differently. I have room to do either option.
We will be in this house for 10-15 years I imagine. Which is the better option?
Tub in a deck
Free standing tub

Comments (126)

• Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, I don't like the third one either. This is one we put in in Cornwall, no good shots of it really
  • dbh
    8 years ago
    We gutted our bathroom and put in a free-standing tub (Victoria & Albert) and really love it. I like the cleanness of it-- very sleek, and the bathroom actually seems much larger with it-- than with one built-in. The tiler had to build out a wall for the plumbing, the way our plumbing was set up. He was going to just build out (about 5 inches deep) all the way up the wall, though he didn't need to do that. So I asked him to just stop it where he needed to, and that allowed for the top of the built-out wall to give us a 5" deep ledge to put everything. Even if you didn't have to hide interior plumbing like that, you could build out a similar wall, if you're going to re-tile anyway (for free-standing tub purposes and if you can spare the space).
  • Related Discussions

Inset v. freestanding bathtub

Q

Comments (4)
    Honestly, I think the freestanding tubs are a bit of a fad. They have a wonderful old-fashioned look (and I have an original clawfoot one in my 1920's era bathroom, which I love). But I don't think that a lovely inset tub with a deck around it (which is MUCH more convenient for perching your shampoo or bubblebath or soap) will ever go out of style. What may fluctuate is the popularity of some of the shapes, sizes, and materials. Some contemporary inset tubs I like:
    ...See More

Is a bath in the bedroom a good idea?

Q

Comments (34)
    I've enjoyed this in a holiday let (NorthWest Georgia, USA) as part of the very rustic charming cabin decor - the bath was a reproduction Victorian hip bath set in front of a rather large fireplace. It felt and looked wonderful. But water did splash beyond the slate tiling no matter how careful we were and our hostess told us they were seriously considering either adding a 3" lip all the way around the tiled area, or removing the bath completely. I've wondered ever since what she did in the end.
    ...See More

Do we have room for a walk in shower and bath tub?

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello there, as far as bathroom fixtures go, we've just launched a new collection which would fit in very well with the Scandinavian style you're after. The collection is called Modern Minimalist and has those clean, crisp lines and sleek shapes synonymous with Scandinavian design. Here is a link to the collection in full and below are a couple of images to give you an idea of what's available... MySlim Rettangolari Mia Cascade Let me know if you'd like more info! Thanks, Maxine, Smart Showers Ltd Tel. 01793 822775 Email. admin@smartshowers.co.uk Website. www.smartshowers.co.uk
    ...See More

POLL - Which kitchen do you prefer? Contemporary vs Traditional

Q

Comments (32)
    Coming onto this post a year late! Yes, I too don't really like either of the kitchens chosen and even prefer the contemporary one! But I'm a trad gal at heart and echo some of the comments above about homeliness and character that it gives...
    ...See More
  • mefor
    8 years ago
    Yes, that's a bit like the second one. Maybe like that, with a bit of built in on the ends :)
  • sunnie2day
    8 years ago
    Victoria, that entire bathroom is gorgeous! Love the tile (marble?), and love the tub is rounded, it looks wonderful in there!
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Sunnie, it is a porcelain tile designed to look like statuary marble (statuario)
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    Our bath is done like in the second photo, only our tub needed a tiled front. Because of all the jets in it, there wasn't a free standing model. But it's semi built in, with the tile surround being flush with the top of the bath. A less 'massive' look and it gives you space to put your bathing necessities (like wine and candles) on.
    Lovely bathroom in the Cornwall cottage Victoria.
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    Thought of towel storage?
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like the layout of these two bathrooms and after consideration, discussion with DH and chalking things on the floor for size, we think this is what we will go for. We reserve the option to put an obscure glass partition between the vanity and the toilet. Any comments or suggestions?
  • dbh
    8 years ago
    These are very nice, Victoria. Love the spaciousness (that you must have to work with, based on these samples). Really like this a lot, though that is a lot of glass to keep sparkling. :)
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The look I hope to achieve, not sure I can magic that much space. Maybe if I just light it really well it will appear larger :-)

We are going to fit a water softener so that will help with the glass (I hope)!
  • sunnie2day
    8 years ago
    We had a squeegie hanging in the cubicle in the old house, it was part of the shower finish to squeegie the glass before getting out, lol! Well, I laugh but it worked nicely.

I love No1, Victoria but then I'm becoming seriously hooked on marble (thank-you Shelley:). No2 is would definitely appeal to my husband, and it is close (without the space, lol, and tub) to where we're headed with the new en suite here. I had no say in this, if I had it would be as close to No1 as possible!
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Number 1 is my favourite too, also DH's but we will probably do it in a marble effect porcelain to avoid water marking. I have a rather lovely stainless steel squeegee from Ikea that cost me a fiver...
  • dbh
    8 years ago
    We have a squeegee, too, that I got at the Container Store. I love it. It's just a thing now-- squeegee-ing that glass after a shower. But I've run out of the stuff that my glass shower installers gave me to clean glass. Anybody have good suggestions of what to use? The glass itself was treated, so I'm nervous about using something that could possibly harm that treatment?? I could go back out there and buy some, but it's a trip. So what's good to use?
  • shelleyuk
    8 years ago
    Ooo lovely marble bathroom. I love the layout with the shower next to the bath too. Very unusual for UK and will be ahead of its time here.

I feel like I'm always leading you astray at the moment sunnie!
  • shelleyuk
    8 years ago
    I have the same bath as your cornwall bath Victoria!
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lol! I have statuario marble effect porcelain there, will do a different one here.
  • momof5x
    8 years ago
    I would definitely go for the first one as it offers space too, I wish my bath was like that. I have a Jacuzzi but finding it very difficult to get in and out! New house too, but problem is that floor level of tub floor and floor outside the tub is lower. I feel the tub wall is higher than I am used too.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    They both look lovely ! My vote goes to the whiter one too !! Will be fab !!
  • steff13
    7 years ago
    Zuma makes a nice very simple acrylic under mount or drop in tub...I wished all manufacturers would make tubs slightly shorter...getting in and out makes it slightly difficult.. I have done 3 under mounts loved them all.. last two made front of deck narrower to ease getting in and out . would not do a drop in as it is uncomfortable sitting on deck..I agree that freestanding looks great...but cleaning and lack of space for bath necessities make it impractical ..
  • steff13
    7 years ago
    This discussion has made my decision... on freestanding vs. built in...Built in hands down
  • mamainheels
    7 years ago

I just stumbled upon this thread. I have a free standing tub that I'm in the process of installing. It will be installed against the wall or 3 inches max away from the wall. Either way, my concern is how to clean up the water spilling over. We have kids and they love to splash water during their baths. Something I didn't think about before. Too late to return the free standing tub so I'm looking for ways to clean around it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• dbh
    7 years ago

How deep is the tub? We have two free-standing tubs, and they're different from each other-- but both pretty deep. It would be tough for water to spill out over it unless it was filled to the brim. Lots of splashing I guess could do it? I would just put down bath mats? Or . . . that close to the wall, it will probably hit the wall, too. If it's deep, and most free-standing ones are, I just wouldn't fill it up so high that splashing water will be such a problem.

• feeny
    7 years ago

You might consider tiling the wall(s) next to the bathtub up to chair rail height. That way, between a tile floor and a tile wall, any spill over couldn't do damage.

• Tony McIntyre
    7 years ago
    It depends on what style of bathroom
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Not finished yet, but I did this in the end.
  • steff13
    7 years ago

looks great..

• PRO
    Daman of Witham
    7 years ago
    We spec many more freestanders than fitted. Both can look beautiful but I personally prefer a nice Victoria & Albert bath like the Barcelona
  • dbh
    7 years ago

Beautiful bathroom. Love the wide tub decking and all the tile surround.

• PRO
    Homejoy
    7 years ago
    Sounds like lots of folks are struggling to weigh up bathroom design with ease of cleaning. Perhaps Homejoy can help so you don't have to compromise or spend lots of time cleaning around the tub?
    www.homejoy.com
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Shower screen went in today.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago

Wow wow wow...! Beautiful!

• PRO
    Daman of Witham
    6 years ago

Freestanding has always been our most popular of the two. However inset baths can look beautiful

Mr & Mrs Wright · More Info

Mr & Mrs Lowe, Hazeleigh · More Info

Master Ensuite, Little Baddow · More Info

Stunning Essex Bathroom, Created with our House of Daman Team · More Info

www.damans.co.uk

• PRO
    AL PAINTING LTD
    6 years ago

Fantastic!

• PRO
    Indigo Acre
    5 years ago

It all depends on the client's brief however the free standing bath tub is the more modern and stylish! If your wanting a unique feature then Free standing is a great choice.

• PRO
    Charles Brooks Bathrooms
    5 years ago

We have some beautiful freestanding baths on our website

www.charlesbrooks.com

• PRO
    Indigo Acre
    5 years ago

Great we will have a look!

• PRO
    ABM Interiors
    5 years ago

Its a bit more bespoke.

• southernpointofview
    5 years ago

I can appreciate the merits of both, but I prefer freestanding.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I like this photo of the freestanding tub.

• PRO
    Indesign Bathrooms & Kitchens
    5 years ago

that is a very good photograph

• PRO
    Keystone Restoration Ltd
    5 years ago

Really love free standing baths!

• PRO
    Jones & Shuffs Ltd.
    5 years ago

We love free standing bath tubs

• PRO
    Cabuchon Bathforms
    5 years ago

You can use side panels to create a free standing bath that would work aesthetically and, optionally, as part of a wetroom-style bathroom.

• PRO
    Cabuchon Bathforms
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can use side panels or a deck/surround to create what is, in effect, a free standing bath that would work well aesthetically and, optionally, as part of a wetroom-style bathroom. Deep soaking tubs are especially effective for such projects; they have smaller footprint, which affords more room in the shower area, but their greater depth makes them exceptionally comfortable.

• PRO
    1st Ability ltd
    5 years ago

Given the option I would go with a free-standing bath as this creates a more luxurious looking bathroom.

• PRO
    Bathroom Warehouse
    5 years ago

I would always go for a free standing where space permits

• PRO
    Mulcare-Ball Ltd
    5 years ago

Free Standing always gives a Wow factor!

• PRO
    Seven Design Service
    5 years ago

If you are building this bath and shower for a luxurious en-suite then I prefer a free standing bath and separate shower cubicle, but if this is for a family bathroom, then I like a bath in a deck as with some clever design you can incorporate storage to hide all the necessary items but keep the overall appearance clear and clutter free.

• PRO
    Plans 4 Your Home
    5 years ago

Decks are great

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    I love the look of the free standing tub but the tub in a deck is far more practical and can also look beautiful when artfully designed.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.