jessegee

Victorian tiled floor - please help me choose a nice wall colour

jessegee
10 years ago
After my parquet floor disaster turned out well in the end, ( big thanks again for all the advice and messages of encouragement ) I have turned my attention to the hallway floor, which is an original ceramic ( ? ) tiled floor , installed when the house was built in 1903.

The hallway is dark and dingy with no natural light, although we will try and reinstate a proper front door with glass, and put daylight bulbs in.
At the moment its magnolia painted woodchip, and everything looks very orange/peach when the light is on.

There's a gorgeous cupboard, which will need to be painted along with skirting, and no coving.

Sadly I wish the floor was blue, I love blues/greys/sea greens/old whites and dark or colourful furniture and soft furnishings,, and I've been dreaming of cobalt lately, but how can I make that work with this peachy/taupe/burgandy/bottle green/white floor?

Whatever we do, I'd like to take the same colour in varying shades and guises throughout the flat, because all the floors are different. I'm tempted to paint the whole place white and be done with it, but surely I can be a bit more original than that, or at least find an old white that doesn't look like magnolia!

Any suggestions, especially English paint names much appreciated, because I live in Devon, I can only get to Homebase and B&Q, so we're thinking of Dulux, Valspar, etc who can mix just about any colour.

The lounge is bright/daylight , but the kitchen is quite dark, little natural light, so we'll be painting the units too.

Any suggestions appreciated, what colour would you do? ( even if it is white! )

jesse x

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.